Schilke Contour Profile

HeyMan

Schilke Contour Profile

Post by HeyMan »

Although I'm familiar with Schilke's labeling system, there isn't a description for a "Contour profile" rim.

I've only ever experienced the standard #3 rim, or the semi-flat #4 rim. Can anyone please tell me what the "Contour profile" is?

Thanks!
Yamaha YSL-651
"Hey, Man!" was "The Chief's" customary greeting. Emory B. Remington - Dec. 22, 1892 - Dec. 19, 1971
Doug Elliott

Re: Schilke Contour Profile

Post by Doug Elliott »

Never heard of it, but Schilke's rim contours are all different. There's not a single #3 or #4 shape. At least from what I've seen.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
HeyMan

Post by HeyMan »

Thanks for your reply, Doug!

The "Contour profile" description is from the Schilke online catalog. In looking at it more closely, I think that I've found the answer. It appears to pertain to the smaller inner diameter "B" cup mpc's.

This is the description of the Schilke 40B:
Extremely small inner rim diameter and shallow “B” cup. This mouthpiece, with its wide-rounded rim, works well for the trumpet player who doubles on trombone.

All of the other "B" cup mouthpieces have this in the description, starting with the 42B:
Contour profile – this mouthpiece is well suited for the small tenor trombone and lead/commercial playing.

So, the "Contour profile" is the wide-rounded rim.
Yamaha YSL-651
"Hey, Man!" was "The Chief's" customary greeting. Emory B. Remington - Dec. 22, 1892 - Dec. 19, 1971
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

HeyMan wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:38 pm So, the "Contour profile" is the wide-rounded rim.
Not really, HeyMan. The Schilke "Contour Profile" terminology refers to the outer shape of the mouthpieces, such as the 42B, 45B, and 47B, where the mouthpiece wall thickness is rather thin, and the outer mouthpiece profile is similar to the inside bowl shape. See for instance:
https://www.wwbw.com/Schilke-Gold-Plate ... 75214.wwbw

The "Contour Profile" mouthpiece were once known as "Cimera-Sares" (whoever they were), and are very lightweight because of the thin wall. Apparently Tommy Dorsey used such a mouthpiece (I think the 42B). These mouthpieces do have a somewhat shallower cup and more rounded rim than "standard" Schilke mouthpieces (e.g. Schilke 45, Schilke 47), but those characteristics are separate from the "Contour" designation.

I really like the larger 47B for playing lead in a Big Band on a King 3B. (I don't play as high as Dorsey!)
From an older Schilke catalog:
"Schilke 47B: ARTIST MODEL - (Formerly Cimera-Sares #1) Good all around mouthpiece for the lead player. Produces rich high register. Slim lightweight contour mouthpiece for additional "pop" and "sizzle" to the sound. Good all-around mouthpiece for jazz players requiring quick response and resonant high register."

I also like the 45B mated with a King 2B:
"Schilke 45B: ARTIST MODEL - (Formerly Cimera-Sares #2). Designed for modern lead tenor trombone player.
Slim mouthpiece uses a lightweight Contour blank for additional "pop" and "sizzle" to the sound."

Hope this is helpful.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

For the record, Jaroslav (Jerry) Cimera was a noted teacher in the Chicago area. Tommy Dorsey used to take lessons from him as a working pro -- which just goes to show you can never stop learning. There is a Method Book by Cimera on IMSLP if you want to take a look at what he was about. I've heard of Sares but don't know exactly who he was.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
HeyMan

Post by HeyMan »

Posaunus,

Thanks for the clarification! I see exactly what you mean about the Contour profile of the blank. Schilke would do well to make that factor more clear.
Yamaha YSL-651
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

He was my teacher, and great friend, and I miss him very much!

Return to “Mouthpieces”