Denis Wick mouthpieces

yhc

Denis Wick mouthpieces

Post by yhc »

Hello everyone:

I will like your opinion about the denis wick mouthpieces?
I am one and it’s feels that’s the sound is more clear but lost the mellow sound on the trombone. I use a king 4b sonorus trombone with a DW 5Al mp.

It this mouthpieces is a good choice?

Thanks for answers!
PaulT

Re: Denis Wick mouthpieces

Post by PaulT »

If it works for you it's a good mouthpiece for you, if it doesn't, then it isn't.

What works well for one player may not work for another, and what doesn't work for another player may work well for someone else.

The mouthpiece you mention wouldn't work well for me, it's too big. However it might be just right for someone else. There is nothing wrong with the mouthpiece itself, it just may not be the right one for you. Or you may need more time with it.

- It doesn't sound as if you are happy with it, so try something else. Did you like your old mouthpiece better?

- Or maybe it is a matter of "nothing is ever perfect in all regards". Do you like it better than the other mouthpieces you have used? Is the extra clarity worth a little loss of mellowness? If the answer is "yes", then go with it.

Head over to the "Mouthpiece" section of the forum. Spend some time reading various posts. You will learn that there are lots of mouthpiece options. Different players prefer different types and sizes. And the same player may be switching between two, three, or four different mouthpieces, with each one taking its turn at winning the day... each on a different day, month, or year.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Note: Moved this to Mouthpieces, where it belongs.

Wick mouthpieces are unusual due to the flat rim and relatively sharp bite.

I love them. Use a 4BL on my symphonic horn and a 4BS on anything that is small shank.

There are others who may not like them.

If only one mouthpiece really worked well, we'd all be playing it and you wouldn't see so much variety.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
yhc

Post by yhc »

Thanks for your answers!!

I am going to return to my old mouthpiece that is a Griego 5M Deco style. With that one I have more mellow sound and can have back my high register that didn’t mention before. With the denis wick I noticed that I was having a little difficult on my high register. Maybe I will get the New York style that is a little more lite that the Deco.

Thanks....
yhc

Post by yhc »

Hi everyone!

After making an evaluation about the mouthpieces that I will be changing ( Griego 5M Deco) I decided to go back to the Bach mp, but the 5g that have the same dimensions of the Griego 5M New York style, but more cheaper.

Yhc.

Return to “Mouthpieces”