Back to playing after a long break - bass tbh m/p advice

Rob1662

Back to playing after a long break - bass tbh m/p advice

Post by Rob1662 »

Hi there,

Hopefully picking up a 1662 tomorrow having not played for a long time. I'm nearly 60 and have lost some lung capacity due to a collapsed lung.

I've used various mouthpieces in the past in the range of 1.5g Mt Vernon to Markinceviec 1. Obviously the amount of air needed is now a priority for me but I still want to be able to punch out the valve register, so some advice on size/make etc along with any good exercises to help with increasing lung capacity would be great.

Any other advice like leadpipe choice should help.

Great forum BTW👍
tbonesullivan

Re: Back to playing after a long break - bass tbh m/p advice

Post by tbonesullivan »

Starting out with a Faxx 1 1/2 G wouldn't be a bad idea. It's a CNC copy of a Mt Vernon 1 1/2G. It has the standard .276" throat, so it won't take as much air.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

If air is a premium for you, you might try a Ferguson V.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Assuming you still own the MV 1.5...

And for exercises, I might look at Jimmy Clark’s Remington drills or George Curran’s daily maintence, both downloadable PFDs.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Also, look into the Arnold Jacobs breathing exercises. They really help with air control and capacity.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Crazytrombonist505

Post by Crazytrombonist505 »

A 1 1/2G mouthpiece would probably be a good place to start. The Faxx model is a good option and you can also pick up used ones on eBay for pretty cheap.
smithr

Post by smithr »

The 1 1/2 size is probably best but keep in mind the different manufacturers 1 1/2 are not all the exact same dimensions. Lead pipes too open will muddy your articulations, possibly affect your tone (woofy or dull sounding),and suck the air right out of you. Get a Voldyne and use that to develop air and also buzz on the mouthpiece. Buzz all registers and check your pitch. Buzz scales and simple melodies. Have a tuner handy.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

I've been trying a 2G recently and it does make certain things easier. As for pumping out the trigger register, it should be more than big enough given the number of top-level players who use one. It might be more a matter of making sure that whatever mouthpiece you use is seated properly in the leadpipe.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Imho. Start with your 1.5g, and go have some lessons it's amazing how much you forget after a long break, and will save you time and tears in the wood shed

Return to “Mouthpieces”