Faxx vs Bach mouthpieces

yhc

Faxx vs Bach mouthpieces

Post by yhc »

Hello everyone;

Is there a difference between a Faxx and Bach mouthpieces about the sounds that’s it’s produces? Or is the prices?

Thanks for your answers!!!
BGuttman

Re: Faxx vs Bach mouthpieces

Post by BGuttman »

Faxx are digital copies of Bach Mount Vernon mouthpieces. They are sold at a lower price point. They may work great for you or not. But at least you won't break the bank to try a different size in Faxx.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
yhc

Post by yhc »

Thanks for your answers. I all ready bought a Faxx mp and is identical to the Bach. I was curious that maybe the silver plating or the material that is made is the difference for the prices.

Thanks again!!!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

IMHO, for what they are, Bach mouthpieces are overpriced. They have made very little change to their standard mouthpiece catalog in decades. There is no development cost to recoup. Like everything "Bach" you get less bang for your buck.

Yamaha mouthpieces are quite nice, and cost around $45, compared to $75 for a standard Bach mouthpiece.

Faxx mouthpieces are made in Germany by Lausmann on CNC lathes, and from what I have heard, the original mouthpieces they offer were based on a set of Mt. Vernon MPCs given to someone by Vincent Bach when they helped move the factory after the company was sold to Selmer. I don't know how much of the story is real, but they are very good mouthpieces, and I have used a Faxx 1 1/2G for years with no sign of the silver plate fading.

This is a bit on the company: https://www.namm.org/library/oral-histo ... f-lausmann

They pretty much make mouthpieces and other parts for brass companies around the world.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Does anyone know who actually owns the Faxx name? Is it American Way Marketing?

Whoever is in charge, they run a very streamlined operation. They only make a few sizes for each instrument, which simplifies almost every stage of manufacturing and distribution. They don't seem to do much advertising.
tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:11 am IMHO, for what they are, Bach mouthpieces are overpriced. They have made very little change to their standard mouthpiece catalog in decades. There is no development cost to recoup.
Faxx's development costs are even lower...

I wonder if you could go Faxx one better? Make the best darned 6.5AL in the world and nothing else. A small shop dedicated to producing exactly one product of highest quality. No down time to change over to another size. Production only stops for maintenance and to make adjustments when the dimensions get close to the edge of your tolerance.
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

Faxx is great! Their 7C was my gateway into that realm.

While I wish they had a cheap 6.75 for all to try etc. there is something nice about having a company that sticks to the fundamentals.

And I assume their customers are primarily early mouthpiece explorers - "bought a small bore, need a first mouthpiece" and similar - such players probably SHOULDN'T be getting into the weeds of 7C vs 6.75. Stick to big or small, which one is better?! Only fine tune from there if needed ...

:clever:
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

mwpfoot wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:41 am Faxx is great! Their 7C was my gateway into that realm.

While I wish they had a cheap 6.75 for all to try etc. there is something nice about a company that sticks to the fundamentals.

And I assume their customers are primarily early mouthpiece explorers - "bought a small bore, need a first mouthpiece" and similar - such players probably SHOULDN'T be getting into the weeds of 7C vs 6.75. Stick to big or small, which one is better?! Only fine tune from there if needed ...

I'm still stuck in those weeds. The 11C, 7C, and 6 3/4C are SO CLOSE, but so far apparently. Ferguson music now makes an 11C type, but it's actually a full 25.00mm. I haven't had much time on it, but it is nice.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

mwpfoot wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:41 am Faxx is great! Their 7C was my gateway into that realm.

While I wish they had a cheap 6.75 for all to try etc. there is something nice about having a company that sticks to the fundamentals.

I believe that Wessex makes (or at least sells) an excellent knock-off 6¾C mouthpiece. I acquired one a year or two ago, and it plays great. :good:
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Bach essentially prints money with their brand recognition. Some of the stock Bach mouthpieces are awesome, the majority fall into the "needs improvement" category.

Think of Faxx as addressing the mulligans Bach should have taken on their updated CNC catalogue. The Faxx 1-1/2G especially is, in my opinion, a superior mouthpiece to the current Bach offering. It is a copy of a MV 1-1/2G, on the smaller side of those pieces.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
sporto

Post by sporto »

Yamaha mouthpieces are quite nice, and cost around $45, compared to $75 for a standard Bach mouthpiece.

[/quote]

I agree. I think Yamaha makes the bet "off the rack" mouthpieces.
disco

Post by disco »

Had really good luck on the Faxx and I've found them new online for 29.99
Conn 6H Elkhart
Conn 100H
Conn 74H
Conn 88HCL
Conn 8HCL Detachable Bell Boneyard Conversion
Conn 8HT Boneyard Axial Conversion
King 2B+ X2
1939 King 2B
Yamaha 882 OR
Conn 60H with Detachable Bell Boneyard Dependent Conversion
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

Speaking of Faxx, does anybody know if the new Blessing line of mouthpieces is affiliated with them? Their description of having been CNC-machined in Germany sounds oddly like Faxx, but it's interesting they added 11C and 51D not available from Faxx.
blessingbrass.com/mouthpieces/
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Bonehead wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:08 am Speaking of Faxx, does anybody know if the new Blessing line of mouthpieces is affiliated with them? Their description of having been CNC-machined in Germany sounds oddly like Faxx, but it's interesting they added 11C and 51D not available from Faxx.
blessingbrass.com/mouthpieces/
Faxx currently has a 51D-S and 51D-L. I don't see an 11C though.

However, there is pretty much one company in Germany that does lots of contract mouthpiece making, so chances are they are the same.
Last edited by tbonesullivan on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jph

Post by jph »

No difference in what counts, lip vibration and sound production.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

jph wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:27 am No difference in what counts, lip vibration and sound production.
This is false.

Freebuzz, then buzz on the mouthpiece. Different sensations, different sounds. The world is not so linear as to allow for superposition or separability of player, equipment, and sound: they are all coupled.

Equipment matters. At least, it will matter until freebuzzing choirs supplant brass players (I hope I didn't just give any avant-garde composers any ideas).
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
jph

Post by jph »

Huh?

Return to “Mouthpieces”