5gs vs 6-1/2A

Jose999

5gs vs 6-1/2A

Post by Jose999 »

Hi everyone! I'm looking for a mpc between bach 5g and
6-1/2AL (I've already played both) I've been looking options and I'm between 6.5A and 5gs.
The 6,5A has a small rim and cup but a bigger throat and backbore. What do you think about this mouthpieces?, and what do you think is more important for high register: a small rim, a small cup or a small throat? Thanks!
FullPedalTrombonist

Re: 5gs vs 6-1/2A

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

What’s most important for me is practice and technique. Then finding a fit and comfort on the face. Obviously the piece should be appropriate for the horn, but that’s usually easy.

Which, out of both 5 and 6-1/2, rim is more comfortable? I think a large bore ( for me ) is best suited with a larger mouthpiece volume-wise. Letting enough air in helps with literally everything for me.

Also are you set on only trying a 5GS and a 6-1/2A?
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

For me (and this can change over time) I think the cup is most important for high range, at least for the general options of trombone mouthpieces absent extreme proportions like trying to play high Fs with a bass trombone sized rim. But, shallow cups come with a downside past a point which is probably a bit different for everyone: playing loud in the low range, the lips start to impact a lot on the inside of the cup and it begins to restrict volume and tone.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

What horn is this for?

I like my 5GS in my 3B, but overall the 6.5AL has beaten it in all factors except comfort. The high register is just a bit more difficult and diffuse with the 5GS.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Small or large shank? I have two small shank 5GS pieces I don't need.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
jtbandmusic

Post by jtbandmusic »

Try a Yamaha 48; very close to the 6 1/2 AL, but has a more comfortable rim (for me). I'll bet the throat and bore are different too. Better? Worse? Try one. But they are well made and not too pricey.

John Thompson
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Plenty of people play either/both. Note that the small shank 6.5A and large shank 6.5A are quite different, though the 6.5AL of both is more-or-less identical other than the receiver size. 6.5 is on the small side for classical and on the large side for commercial. Plenty of people have great high range on pieces with much larger rims than that, but also on deeper cups than both.

Return to “Mouthpieces”