Symington 2

Rob1662

Symington 2

Post by Rob1662 »

A while back I posted that I had just got back into playing after a considerable break. I have had a collapsed lung in the past which has reduced the capacity in one my lungs. This has led to me struggling with some longer phrasing and sustaining low notes at higher volume levels.

The first part of the equation was getting the horn right, my Kanstul 1662 seems to be just about spot for me, I've struggled with a Rath in the past (in more ways than one!) but this trombone gives me the sound I want and does not require me to strap my bracers around my chair :shock:

I started back on my Marcinkiewicz 1,which produced all the notes but was sounding a bit un-centred and using a fair amount of my air capacity, I moved to my old 1.5g but again it sounded woolley, so out came my VB 2G, hey presto we're getting somewhere! - better centre to the notes, easier middle/high range and I wasn't breathing every bar! However, the valve register just wasn't popping - I gave it a couple of months but it wasn't working for me.

I then read about Bill Symington on here and his newish 2G, I got in touch and queried a few thing about the piece - he stated

"There are 3 principal differences to at least the Corp 2Gs I have.

My #2 has:

1. A cup diameter that's a fraction smaller - something less than a millimetre. Very difficult to measure off curves with calipers accurately. So formally speaking a Bach 2g is 26.8mm - mine is 26.7 and a bit!
2. It is deeper than a Bach, by about 3mm. It's why it's less "blatty" than a typical Bach, and darker.

3. It has a flatter rim.

It's also slightly longer overall than a modern Bach. This feature was carried over from the original Mount Vernon donor mouthpiece. The throat isn't materially different.
I don't doubt it will feel slightly different from a modern Bach. Most take to it, but not everyone! See how you get on over the next few days."

I can now report that after a week on this mouthpiece that everything is/has fallen into place. The valve register is centred and easy to add volume, the pedal register again is very well centred and transition from each register is smooth.

The controlled volume I can get from this mouthpiece is significantly greater than other similar sized pieces.

The rim is very comfortable, a 3 hour brass band rehearsal on a test piece was easy enough as are practice sessions.

This is definitely "a keeper" and I would suggest anyone looking for a compact/centred bass trombone sound to try one of these.

Thanks Bill :trumpet:
WGWTR180

Re: Symington 2

Post by WGWTR180 »

He makes good mouthpieces!
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Bill's mouthpieces are superb!

I initially had the 1.5 but it wasn't working and got one of the first 2s. I've been loving playing it and me being me got curious about the zirconium version...I've been on it for a few weeks now and it's even better!!

I'm now undecided as to whether or not keep the brass one in case or sell it on.

Ross
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Mrdeacon has a lot of experience with symington as well. He can probably give some knowledgeable input too.

I got the 1 1/2 and it plays great. I heard the 2Gs are geeat too.

He makes good stuff.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Welcome to the club, Bill.!
I found the 2 to be even better than the 1.5 which was the best i ever tried until the 2 came along.. There is one thing however i would like to discuss, and that is the longer shank.. The first batch of the 1.5 had a deeper fit which means that the end of the backbore gets closer to the leadpipe venturi.. A friend Just received a New version while having an old version on loan and reported that the new version was slightly more "slotted" in partials.. I have had a feeling that this was an issue on my 2 also.. Remember that the insertion depth on the new versions are identical to most modern large shank pieces so nothing is "wrong" about the newcomer, but maybe, Just maybe there are some extra magic to the old Mount Vernon shank length.. (?)
Rob1662

Post by Rob1662 »

So, are you saying that the new longer shank is better for you? From what I can tell looking at a Corp 2g next to Bill's 2 is that there is a little extra length in the shank and some in the body?

My 2 is chalk n cheese better than the 2g.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Better for some, worse for other.. Just different.. I play an old Holton and think that i maybe would benefit from a deeper fit, while others will need a standard fit.. Mileage will vary..
islander

Post by islander »

I just proceeded with the "if it ain't broke" methodology of mouthpiece design. The extra 1 mm of length to the shank brought over from the original Mount Vernon seems not to cause any problems so far - but whether it contributes anything meaningful to the playing experience is an experiment I haven't conducted so far.

Bill
Rob1662

Post by Rob1662 »

Insertion depth observations:

The insertion depth of the S2 is identical to the VB Corp 2G, Rath 2 but interestingly the Marcinkiewicz 1 is 4mm shorter!
The Kanstul 1.5 is 2mm longer.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

I use the early 1.5 with the odd shank and find that it fits my old Conn 70H really well, but not modern horns (including a Holton) without forcing.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

islander wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 am I just proceeded with the "if it ain't broke" methodology of mouthpiece design. The extra 1 mm of length to the shank brought over from the original Mount Vernon seems not to cause any problems so far - but whether it contributes anything meaningful to the playing experience is an experiment I haven't conducted so far.

Bill
Hello, Bill, how are You? :hi:

I remember when i received the 1. 5 for testing with the blue tape in the shank.. Absolutely Great from the get go.. The strange thing is that the tape had no negative impact on the sound quality, but i found that after removing the tape the slotting was not quote as "hard".. I cant help to think that my no. 2 could benefit from the deep fit of the first version, but dont get me wrong ; the new version with a more standardized fit is the way to go, and would probably fit most of the players..

Trond
Rob1662

Post by Rob1662 »

Just done the Brass Band area qualifying contest on this no 2 and must say how pleased I am with the sound in a proper concert hall, from behind the instrument it felt and sounded great and apparently it was just as good sat in the audience.
Anyone playing a 2G - try one, for me it's special👍

Return to “Mouthpieces”