How to clean Gold Plated MP

pfcastor

How to clean Gold Plated MP

Post by pfcastor »

What products can you use to clean a gold plated mouthpiece? What products are NOT recommended for a gold plated Mouthpiece?
harrisonreed

Re: How to clean Gold Plated MP

Post by harrisonreed »

Dish soap and a mouthpiece brush is all you need. Don't scratch the finish.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:25 am Dish soap and a mouthpiece brush is all you need. Don't scratch the finish.
Exactly!!!

IF you're really concerned about germs, give it a quick rinse with Listerene and a HOT water rinse afterwards!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
sporto

Post by sporto »

I don't even use a mouthpiece brush, just dish detergent and a Q tip soaked till it expands
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Hint: If you wipe the mouthpiece with a soft cotton cloth and use a twisted corner of a soft facial tissue to dry the backbore after every use, you'll never have to clean your mouthpiece. If you're concerned about microbes, rinse the mouthpiece once a week or so with 92% rubbing alcohol.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Doubler wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 pm ... If you're concerned about microbes, rinse the mouthpiece once a week or so with 92% rubbing alcohol.
Rubbing alcohol comes at 70% or 91%. Never seen 92%. Note that mouthwash can provide a suitable (and better tasting) replacement.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Doubler wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 pm Hint: If you wipe the mouthpiece with a soft cotton cloth and use a twisted corner of a soft facial tissue to dry the backbore after every use, you'll never have to clean your mouthpiece. If you're concerned about microbes, rinse the mouthpiece once a week or so with 92% rubbing alcohol.
I wash my mouthpieces after every time I use them. I also run a mouthpiece brush through them. It's just easier to stop any corrosion and / or crud before it even gets a chance to start.

Gold is quite soft, so I would think the less abrasive, the better. Probably even pat dry with a towel opposed to rubbing it.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:11 pm
Doubler wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 pm ... If you're concerned about microbes, rinse the mouthpiece once a week or so with 92% rubbing alcohol.
Rubbing alcohol comes at 70% or 91%. Never seen 92%. Note that mouthwash can provide a suitable (and better tasting) replacement.
91% :oops:
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:11 pm Rubbing alcohol comes at 70% or 91%. Note that mouthwash can provide a suitable (and better tasting) replacement.

If you don't like the taste of the residual rubbing alcohol after sterilizing your mouthpiece, rinse with tap water – or daub with single-malt Scotch! :good:
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:16 am I wash my mouthpieces after every time I use them. I also run a mouthpiece brush through them. It's just easier to stop any corrosion and / or crud before it even gets a chance to start.

Gold is quite soft, so I would think the less abrasive, the better. Probably even pat dry with a towel opposed to rubbing it.
Are the bristles of the mouthpiece brush stiff enough to scratch the delicate plating?

My regular (and frequent) mouthpiece cleaning protocol: wipe clean with soapy water, then flush with tap water. Very seldom do I use a mouthpiece brush. ([ brush my teeth before playing!] My mouthpieces (gold- or silver-plated or stainless steel) appear like new, shiny and untarnished, inside and out. :cool:
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:01 pmAre the bristles of the mouthpiece brush stiff enough to scratch the delicate plating?

My regular (and frequent) mouthpiece cleaning protocol: wipe clean with soapy water, then flush with tap water. Very seldom do I use a mouthpiece brush. ([ brush my teeth before playing!] My mouthpieces (gold- or silver-plated or stainless steel) appear like new, shiny and untarnished, inside and out. :cool:
I only play silver plated mouthpieces, and I haven't noticed any issues with the brush. It's about as soft as a toothbrush. I do it more from habit really.

I also am a BIG proponent of brushing teeth before playing. I see people eating and then playing? UGGGHHHHHHHGHGHGH
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner like they use for jewelry would give a mouthpiece a good cleaning without doing any harm. Anybody know?
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I use an ultrasonic. The only possible problem is if there is defective plating like a bubble or blister where it's not adhering, it will make the defect more obvious. But I think it's completely safe otherwise.

If you clean regularly, ultrasonic would be unnecessary.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
sporto

Post by sporto »

I use a Q-tip, warm water and dish detergent. Clean often and that's all you ever need.

Return to “Mouthpieces”