Wick Eras

TromboneMonkey

Wick Eras

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Have Wick mouthpieces significantly changed over time? I'm referring to identical models from different eras, not to different blanks or newer models.

I ask because I recently saw someone's photo of their (apparently older) Wick, which had what appeared to be a significantly thicker (from the top down) rim. The blank is noticeably different from more recent ones. I have seen older Wicks which have much smaller stamping than newer ones. I have also seen some allusions on here that older 10CS mouthpieces are distinct in dimensions from newer ones. Have any others changed?
Vegasbound

Re: Wick Eras

Post by Vegasbound »

The answer is yes, Denis redisigned the mouthpieces in the mid 90's the rim profile changed it became much flatter along with almost everything else

As for the lettering before the invention of the computer machines they where all hand stamped
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Ohhhh? Really??? I'd love to get my hands on one of those old Wick 4AL mouthpieces. That's the OG British Brass Band Euph sound right there!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I had a much older 3AL with large lettering and thinner rim. It was small in all ways than a modern one, quite a light sound.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

mrdeacon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:18 am Ohhhh? Really??? I'd love to get my hands on one of those old Wick 4AL mouthpieces. That's the OG British Brass Band Euph sound right there!

I have an original 70's 4al on a shelf, not as deep as the newer 6al thinner more rounded rim
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Vegasbound wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:59 am
mrdeacon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:18 am Ohhhh? Really??? I'd love to get my hands on one of those old Wick 4AL mouthpieces. That's the OG British Brass Band Euph sound right there!

I have an original 70's 4al on a shelf, not as deep as the newer 6al thinner more rounded rim
What's the diameter of the rim? Still similar to a current Wick 4AL (Elliott 103 sized rim) or is it smaller like Burgerbob observed on his old 3AL?
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think I have a 4AL around here, that I threaded probably for XT. I don't know the era.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

mrdeacon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:26 pm
Vegasbound wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:59 am

What's the diameter of the rim? Still similar to a current Wick 4AL (Elliott 103 sized rim) or is it smaller like Burgerbob observed on his old 3AL?

I have no idea, it's an original hand stamped etc it is smaller and lighter in weight than modern ones and the rim isn't as wide my understanding is Denis designed it based on the specs of an old 4g (probably mt Vernon era) the outer profile on the original designs are different too

The original 10cs feels like an 11c size when you play it, again he was trying to improve on an old Bach 11c if I remember for the late great Don Lusher, the modern ones feel much bigger

The original 6bs was a copy of a Clarke 61/2 as Denis has said in online articles because he felt that the modern 61/2 had morphed into something different and bigger
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Vegasbound wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:36 am

The original 6bs was a copy of a Clarke 61/2 as Denis has said in online articles because he felt that the modern 61/2 had morphed into something different and bigger

I've read that too; must've been a Clarke "S" he modeled it after, because I have the BrassArk/Reeves Clarke which is MUCH bigger than a Bach 6 1/2-- I'm assuming it's based off the Clarke "L".
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:41 pm I think I have a 4AL around here, that I threaded probably for XT. I don't know the era.
Doug, you used to have a print brochure with a little comparison chart in it. One thing that I always found funny was you had Wick 4AL listed under something like 102.5, 103, and then under 104 you had a little blurb that said "believe it or not, some 4ALs are this big." :lol:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup, I had a modern 3AL alongside my old one. The new one was nearly 2G size, properly massive (and quite useless).
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

bbocaner wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:20 pm
Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:41 pm I think I have a 4AL around here, that I threaded probably for XT. I don't know the era.
Doug, you used to have a print brochure with a little comparison chart in it. One thing that I always found funny was you had Wick 4AL listed under something like 102.5, 103, and then under 104 you had a little blurb that said "believe it or not, some 4ALs are this big." :lol:
I guess you never noticed my description of the CB P cup
http://dougelliottmouthpieces.com/cbtuba.html
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Wick-4AM- ... wi-BenEe2
Found it!

Wait...
Wishbone

Post by Wishbone »

I'm curious as to WHY Mr. Wick decided to redesign his mouthpieces???

Return to “Mouthpieces”