T396 mouthpiece preference

ericcheng2005

T396 mouthpiece preference

Post by ericcheng2005 »

If you guys play a T396, what mouthpiece do you use on it?

Thanks
Vegasbound

Re: T396 mouthpiece preference

Post by Vegasbound »

Why do you ask? Are you currently playing a t396 and not happy with your mouthpiece? If that's the case why do you I think you need to change?

What has your teacher said?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I find they play best with something close ish to what Alessi plays. I remember a gig with a guy that played his with an Greg Black Alessi piece, but had switched to a 5G recently and didn't like the horn anymore.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

And I disagree. I play a Greg Black 4G-5G with a T396AR. Works great for me.
I think there is a synergy between mouthpiece and horn but it has to also work for you. So find a mouthpiece that works with you and the horn. Or find a horn that works with your mouthpiece and you. I have noticed over the years... almost every time I sell someone a horn, they tend to buy a new mouthpiece within six months. No idea why.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

i've heard them sound really nice with Greg Black and Laskey pieces if my memory serves. to each their own though
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
sterb225

Post by sterb225 »

I went through six mouthpieces after the switch to my T-396. Finally settling on the Griego Alessi 1C. For me, it's like a driving a race car ... everything just clicks with the gear never getting in the way.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:32 pm And I disagree. I play a Greg Black 4G-5G with a T396AR.
To be fair, that's much closer to what Alessi plays than a Bach 5G!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ZacharyThornton

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:03 pm
ZacharyThornton wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:32 pm And I disagree. I play a Greg Black 4G-5G with a T396AR.
To be fair, that's much closer to what Alessi plays than a Bach 5G!
Lol you right. I just typically assume that a person playing that high end horn are not playing stock 5G mouthpieces. Not that there is anything wrong with a 5G, but typically people are playing something different by the time they go for a big dollar horn.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

I know two top of the line players that play off the shelf Bach 4g and Schilke 51 pieces in their 396’s and they sound great.
sterb225

Post by sterb225 »

I think with the T-396 it's important to be open to concepts that are way outside 'convention' for rim diameter and cup size. The horn design was finalized around Joe's regular mouthpiece. I went into my trial of the 1C thinking 'who the heck do I think I am' trying to use the exact same combo as JA, but was shocked at the result. It definitely pays to think outside the box.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I use mine with the V3. Good!
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

sterb225 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:23 pm I think with the T-396 it's important to be open to concepts that are way outside 'convention' for rim diameter and cup size. The horn design was finalized around Joe's regular mouthpiece. I went into my trial of the 1C thinking 'who the heck do I think I am' trying to use the exact same combo as JA, but was shocked at the result. It definitely pays to think outside the box.
Wow!

Also, on second thought, isn’t one of the major selling points the harmonic pillars? Maybe I could adjust the mouthpiece feel and overall sound using those
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

A little of a tangent, but has anyone compared the 396 with the Shires Alessi model?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

ericcheng2005 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:48 pm
sterb225 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:23 pm I think with the T-396 it's important to be open to concepts that are way outside 'convention' for rim diameter and cup size. The horn design was finalized around Joe's regular mouthpiece. I went into my trial of the 1C thinking 'who the heck do I think I am' trying to use the exact same combo as JA, but was shocked at the result. It definitely pays to think outside the box.
Wow!

Also, on second thought, isn’t one of the major selling points the harmonic pillars? Maybe I could adjust the mouthpiece feel and overall sound using those
They change the overall response of the whole horn. I use three different mouthpieces with the 396A, all with the same pillar setup, and each is different
ZacharyThornton

Bach5G wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:51 pm A little of a tangent, but has anyone compared the 396 with the Shires Alessi model?
And compare the new T396AR vs the Shires Alessi. I have tried both but I am most likely seen as biased.
TromboneConcerto

Post by TromboneConcerto »

For now, just use the mouthpiece you have on your new horn (I see in your profile you are getting one soon). Take it to your teacher and work with them on fitting a mouthpiece that works good with you, and your horn. We won't be able to help too much because we have no idea how you play and what your strengths are.
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

I play a Hartman Custom on mine.

It is approximately the size of a Doug Elliot 104 with a G cup. At least that is how it feels when I play it and is what I used to play. I didn't measure it, that is strictly going by face feel. The rim shape is different but the fact that the entire mouthpiece is perfect for the horn due to trying a bunch of similar small variations of the mouthpiece with the horn means that there is no back pressure unevenness issues with across the grain slurs. Also, the articulations and high register are much easier and clearer.

I don't know why everybody is not playing on of Scot Hartman's mouthpieces. He is a really nice guy and they are fantastic.
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Changing the pillars, if done carefully and methodically, can really change the slotting and air resistance feel as well as the projection in the room and sound behind the bell and out front.

I would find a mouthpiece that allows you to play what you need reliably and then fine tune the feel and sound with the pillars. Maybe try to get one of the guys form Edwards to help you out. There are a ton of options and it is hard to do it right. Do a search on here. One of the guys from Edwards shared a PDF describing the process of narrowing down what set up works for you. I was the one who started that tread if it helps the search.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

My experience with the T-396 is limited, but those pillars are NOT just a gimmick. I think with the right pillars you could make it work with a lot of mouthpieces. There's no reason your regular large shank mouthpiece shouldn't work with the horn.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Exactly.

Not a gimmick and so long as the mouthpiece fits your face and works for you, they should help fine tune the horn to play just how you want it to.
ZacharyThornton

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:23 pm My experience with the T-396 is limited, but those pillars are NOT just a gimmick. I think with the right pillars you could make it work with a lot of mouthpieces. There's no reason your regular large shank mouthpiece shouldn't work with the horn.
This would be my advice as well. I posted a .pdf on here of the recommended way to approach the harmonic pillars. It should be easy to find.
GBP

Post by GBP »

I have a 502 bass. When I switched mouthpieces, I removed the harmonic pillars and started over. Ended up with a different setup then with the previous mouthpiece.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

GBP wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:34 pm I have a 502 bass. When I switched mouthpieces, I removed the harmonic pillars and started over. Ended up with a different setup then with the previous mouthpiece.
Yup. Unless the mouthpieces are from within the same series, this is going to be the case.
sterb225

Post by sterb225 »

On the subject of pillars I played the horn naked for a year + while I settled into the mouthpiece. The pillars are effective. There are videos on YouTube of Christian taking a pro through the process of tuning pillars. I think the player was blind to the pillar choices and made comments after each change. Take your time.
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:23 pm My experience with the T-396 is limited, but those pillars are NOT just a gimmick. I think with the right pillars you could make it work with a lot of mouthpieces. There's no reason your regular large shank mouthpiece shouldn't work with the horn.
I was fairly certain at first that the pillars were snake oil, but after getting the horn and trying the pillars out for myself for the first time today, I can say that it feels like I'm playing a different instrument.

Return to “Mouthpieces”