Schilke 58 alternatives

Retrobone

Schilke 58 alternatives

Post by Retrobone »

Hi

I'm a diehard tenor and alto player but have been dabbling in a bit of bass trombone lately to keep my mind off the Covid thing.

I have a 58... that's it. I like it actually, but on all tenors and altos I use Hammond. I'd like to try a 19BL. What else is there in the smaller range apart from Bach 1.5G and 2G ?
Tim Dowling
Principal trombonist, Residentie Orchestra, The Hague
BGuttman

Re: Schilke 58 alternatives

Post by BGuttman »

George Roberts played a largish 1 1/2 size. Marcinkiewicz 3, 1.5, GR are all in that range. Warburton 3 cup (in the 2 part series).

Any Ray Premru signature is close to a 2G.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Retrobone wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:29 am Hi

I'm a diehard tenor and alto player but have been dabbling in a bit of bass trombone lately to keep my mind off the Covid thing.

I have a 58... that's it. I like it actually, but on all tenors and altos I use Hammond. I'd like to try a 19BL. What else is there in the smaller range apart from Bach 1.5G and 2G ?
Hi Tim,
Hope you are keeping well. You're hitting the bass, me the tenor...gotta laugh ! I would say if you like the Schilke stick with it.... it's a good mouthpiece. If you wanted to use it at work it would be a different matter and demand more thought.
What bass are you using ?

Chris
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

The 19BL has a pretty huge throat (.316) for a mouthpiece that size. I think the best pieces in this size are the Griego 2 (actually a large 1.5 size) and Greg Black's 1 1/2G (if you can find one). I'm sure you could make a DE sb or mb setup as well.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Try a Yamaha 59, its cheap, good, a tiny bit larger then the Schilke 58.
Last edited by marccromme on Sun May 24, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retrobone

Post by Retrobone »

FOSSIL wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:44 am
Hi Tim,

Chris
Hi Chris,
62H so actually I should be sticking with the long shank Schilke's... Once I posted actually... then I thought what's wrong with a 58 in a 62H? It's actually a perfect match. Might seek out a 59 old style though
Results of my labours can be heard here

Tim
Tim Dowling
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Retrobone wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:44 am
FOSSIL wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:44 am
Hi Tim,

Chris
Hi Chris,
62H so actually I should be sticking with the long shank Schilke's... Once I posted actually... then I thought what's wrong with a 58 in a 62H? It's actually a perfect match. Might seek out a 59 old style though
Results of my labours can be heard here

Tim
Great track Tim !!! I knew it would be. You are right, the 58 is a good match for the 62H. If you want slightly bigger I can highly recommend the Symington 1.5... slightly bigger at the rim, basically a copy of my early MV 1 1/2G that has a Conn taper shank.

Chris.
Retrobone

Post by Retrobone »

Hi Chris
I looked into Symington but not much info to be found online. I'll be in touch privately soon.
Tim
Tim Dowling
Crazytrombonist505

Post by Crazytrombonist505 »

Retrobone wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:29 am I have a 58... that's it. I like it actually, but on all tenors and altos I use Hammond. I'd like to try a 19BL. What else is there in the smaller range apart from Bach 1.5G and 2G ?
Lots of great advice here. I'll throw in my 2 cents...

I've used a Schilke 58 for awhile for few times I need to play bass trombone. However, I just recently picked up a Hammond 19BXL to try and I actually really like it. I found that I was able to play much better and cleaner on the Hammond. If you already play Hammond pieces and like them, I'd say it's definetly worth a shot :good:
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Retrobone wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:09 am Hi Chris
I looked into Symington but not much info to be found online. I'll be in touch privately soon.
Tim
There won't be much online. Chris has the info!!!!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Mr Symington is on this forum and has replied to my emails.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

In response to OPs first post... A Hammond 19BL would be a perfect fit. Some people don't dig them because they are a little more traditionally spec'd than most modern pieces but that's what I like about them! Very similar to a 58.

Like everyone else has suggested the Symington 1.5 or 2 pieces are two of the best smaller sized pieces on the market. Very similar to the original Mount Vernons they are modeled after. I actually like my Symington 2 more than any of the original Mount Vernons I've owned!

Greg Blacks are also great small pieces but the throat and backbone on these is going to be larger than either of the previously mentioned pieces. Which might be your thing.

I'm a huge fan of Doug Elliott's MB series. An MB108 rim (or MB109 rim), MBJ* cup, MB J8 or J8.5 shank is a killer setup. I used one for about a year before Bill's stuff one me over. I switched over to Bill's stuff because it works better in my vintage horns. That said... lately I've switched back to Doug's stuff LB and XB setup as I'm going through some chop stuff.

The easiest way to contact Bill Symington is either on the forums or through Facebook. He is both on Facebook as Bill Symington and through the Symington Mouthpieces page. Fantastic guy to work with.

If OP or anyone else is interested I have a lightly used brass 1.5 I'd be willing to part with for the right price... It's the best brass example I've played out of the 4 or 5 brass Symington 1.5's I've played. But I'm sticking with my ZR pieces!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

+1 for Doug Elliott's mouthpieces. The J/J8 combo is my personal favorite. I use wider diameter rims, and can't say enough about the lexan rims. They are really comfortable. As far as alternative I would check out the Griego 2 and Yamaha 60B
islander

Post by islander »

Retrobone wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:09 am Hi Chris
Tim
I am Spartacus. Looking forward to hearing from you sometime, Tim.

Bill S
Retrobone

Post by Retrobone »

Thanks a lot for all your replies!
I'm sticking with the 58 for now, I find I can improve my sound (a.k.a. "practice")
but will try to find a 19BL as well a speak to islander.

Cheers Tim
Tim Dowling

Return to “Mouthpieces”