Doug Elliott dot (.) shanks question.

Slidemo

Doug Elliott dot (.) shanks question.

Post by Slidemo »

A question for Doug or anyone who may know:

Is there a difference in the shanks that have a dot (.) that precede the designation?

I have 2 J8 shanks. One is stamped with a large J8 (2015) on the hexagonal part, the other is stamped smaller .J8 below the hexagonal part.

Both pictured below in a Shires pipe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug Elliott

Re: Doug Elliott dot (.) shanks question.

Post by Doug Elliott »

The ones with a dot I made in the 1990's. The other is since 2004 and is probably 1/10" shorter (I don't remember now).

I redesigned everything when I switched to CNC, and I'm still working on a lot of the designs and doing new stuff all the time. That's one of the reasons I stamp the year on shanks now.

That's an old cup too.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I seem to remember that at one time the dot was used for a slightly oversized shank for King large bore (and bass) trombones.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

No, it was just when I used a particular set of reamers.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Good marketing Doug! Now someone has to tell the shanks with the dot are made from better metal because of some obscure metal production techniques in the 90's and they will be just as desirable as the MV or NY Bach mouthpieces :-)
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

SwissTbone wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 am Good marketing Doug! Now someone has to tell the shanks with the dot are made from better metal because of some obscure metal production techniques in the 90's and they will be just as desirable as the MV or NY Bach mouthpieces :-)
Yes. And once they hit cult status, we'll be flooded with WTB posts, hoping to get it $5 cheaper than ordering from Doug. Just saying....................... :eek:

Return to “Mouthpieces”