Comparable Conn 3

Jslama

Comparable Conn 3

Post by Jslama »

I have a 1974 Conn Director Trombone with a Conn 3 mouthpiece. This is the first instrument I learned on in 4th grade and have been playing it for most of 30 years.

I am not professional. I am a teacher and play for fun with my HS Pep Band. I can hit on the bottom a F below the scale and a high G above the scale.

My daughter started playing trombone and, when I tried to play hers (A-Eastman 12-C), I couldn't get a note out!! I don't want that to happen to me again.

I thought it would be fun to get a blue mouthpiece. I have heard that they are plastic. Not having the resources to buy several, I thought I'd see what you all thought of the decorative mouthpieces and which would fit with my Conn 3 v-shaped mouthpiece. I assume size of the V-shape is a factor as well as the diameter?

Thank you in advance.
BGuttman

Re: Comparable Conn 3

Post by BGuttman »

A Conn 3 is larger than a 12C. This could be your problem on your daughter's trombone. Can you put your Conn 3 into her trombone?

If you really want a blue mouthpiece you would need to buy a Kelly. They don't make a Conn 3 size (or shape for that matter) but a Kelly 6.5AL or 5GS would be as close as you can get.

If you don't want to spend much money and still want a blue mouthpiece, you could paint the outside of the Conn 3 blue.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Mouthpieces”