Denis Wick heavytop conversion boosters

ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

Has anyone tried these? Has anyone tested them on other mouthpiece brands besides Denis Wick?
Last edited by ericcheng2005 on Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbonesullivan

Re: Denis Wick hevaytop conversion boosters

Post by tbonesullivan »

The search function can be very useful:

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?t=5731

The tone booster is specifically shaped to fit the Wick, so they really won't work well on other mouthpieces. However many mouthpiece makers have "heavy" blank types they can use. Bach calls these their "megatone" series.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I thought they did make one version for non-Wick mouthpieces. I had one way back for my Yamaha euphonium piece.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:51 pm I thought they did make one version for non-Wick mouthpieces. I had one way back for my Yamaha euphonium piece.
I think I was wrong then. Most ad copy mentions that they should fit "Denis Wick or almost any brand". I can't remember how they stay on though. Is there some type of rubber gasket on the inside?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:21 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:51 pm I thought they did make one version for non-Wick mouthpieces. I had one way back for my Yamaha euphonium piece.
I think I was wrong then. Most ad copy mentions that they should fit "Denis Wick or almost any brand". I can't remember how they stay on though. Is there some type of rubber gasket on the inside?
I think so, yes. I wonder what happened to mine? Haven't seen it in 12 years.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:30 pm
tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:21 pm I think I was wrong then. Most ad copy mentions that they should fit "Denis Wick or almost any brand". I can't remember how they stay on though. Is there some type of rubber gasket on the inside?
I think so, yes. I wonder what happened to mine? Haven't seen it in 12 years.
i bet you don't miss it either. :tongue:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RichardProom

Post by RichardProom »

Hi...I currently use a Bach 6 1/2 AL for my Besson Sovereign. I am switching to Denis Wick 4AL because many say that is a good choice...however...from experience, is the top heavy 4AL, or regular 4AL a better choice? Like...pros and cons....and what you think would be a better choice for a high school student. Also, does different mouthpieces REALLY make you sound so different? I am still not quite experienced with much of this yet...

PS I have been reading on this website about "fuzz" problems with this mouthpiece. Is this something to be concerned with before purchasing the mouthpiece? I have no access to a mouthpiece like this to try until I have actually bought it off the internet.
Vegasbound

Re: Denis Wick heavytop conversion boosters

Post by Vegasbound »

RichardProom wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:14 am Hi...I currently use a Bach 6 1/2 AL for my Besson Sovereign. I am switching to Denis Wick 4AL because many say that is a good choice...however...from experience, is the top heavy 4AL, or regular 4AL a better choice? Like...pros and cons....and what you think would be a better choice for a high school student. Also, does different mouthpieces REALLY make you sound so different? I am still not quite experienced with much of this yet...

PS I have been reading on this website about "fuzz" problems with this mouthpiece. Is this something to be concerned with before purchasing the mouthpiece? I have no access to a mouthpiece like this to try until I have actually bought it off the internet.

Richard, this is a discussion to have with your teacher as he/she will know your playing

is it your teacher who has suggested the change?
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

There's a Wick booster on eBay right now, in case anyone is wanting to give it a try.

Jim Scott
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

RichardProom wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:14 am Hi...I currently use a Bach 6 1/2 AL for my Besson Sovereign. I am switching to Denis Wick 4AL because many say that is a good choice...however...from experience, is the top heavy 4AL, or regular 4AL a better choice? Like...pros and cons....and what you think would be a better choice for a high school student. Also, does different mouthpieces REALLY make you sound so different? I am still not quite experienced with much of this yet...

In my personal experience, different mouthpieces can drastically change the “feel” and outer ring of the sound (as long as it’s not too different compared to the mouthpiece you’re switching from). Your core sound will remain almost the same, if you have a solid sound concept.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

ericcheng2005 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:43 pm

In my personal experience, different mouthpieces can drastically change the “feel” and outer ring of the sound (as long as it’s not too different compared to the mouthpiece you’re switching from). Your core sound will remain almost the same, if you have a solid sound concept.
The mouthpiece just helps regulate how AND how fast the air goes in, and how you transfer energy into the horn. It's not a simple matter of "many say this is it". The Denis Wick 4AL might as well be a 4CL or a Griego 1C in that regard -- designs that really helped some of the best trombonists do what they needed to do.

Does the mouthpiece fit your face? Do you know how to play around with the amount and pressure of air you're sending through it when you test it out (hint: there's a sweet spot and it's different for each mouthpiece -- knowing how to find it quickly can help you evaluate new gear)?

The mouthpiece can only help or hinder you, and you need to know how to use a mouthpiece to really assess it. Once you know, in general, how to get the balances right and find the sweet spot, you'll realize some mouthpieces let you do everything reasonably well, and some hinder you completely in some areas. Swapping them out without changing or reassessing how you play (I'm talking about very small changes to tongue position, jaw position and air flow) might not work, but it could help you realize "how" to use a mouthpiece.

Return to “Mouthpieces”