Older bach mouthpieces vs new ones

Slydeflex

Older bach mouthpieces vs new ones

Post by Slydeflex »

Has anyone noticed any difference playing wise between older and newer bach mouthpieces? I have a 70's era and a newer one and prefer the newer.
Burgerbob

Re: Older bach mouthpieces vs new ones

Post by Burgerbob »

There's a difference between basically every mouthpiece made by Bach (or any maker, really).

In general? Some are bigger now. Some by a lot (3G). Otherwise I'm not sure if you can much of anything that would be wholly encompassing.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Burgerbob has it pretty spot on. Some makers are more consistent but older (especially Bach) have the reputation of being all over the road, thus feel and play differently. I have several Bach 7 mouthpieces ( couple Mt.Vernon, a couple of corp., a newer one) and they all are a bit different. I have a Mt.Vernon that feels a bit smaller than the Mt.Vernon, and the larger fo those 2 is pretty close to a Corp. lettered i have.

A story i heard about Roy Main is in the first lesson or so with him he would open a drawer full of Bach 11c mouthpieces and would have you try out each one till he heard one that sounded good and would tell you to keep it and bring $36 to tbe next lesson.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Slydeflex

Post by Slydeflex »

Thrawn22 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:31 pm

A story i heard about Roy Main is in the first lesson or so with him he would open a drawer full of Bach 11c mouthpieces and would have you try out each one till he heard one that sounded good and would tell you to keep it and bring $36 to tbe next lesson.
That is interesting, my experience so far has been that the newer bachs are tighter, more focused than some older ones
bassbone721

Post by bassbone721 »

On my 3b, I have a corp. 6 1/2 al and a new 6 1/2 and the corp is slightly darker, but the newer is slightly more easy to play.
Slydeflex

Post by Slydeflex »

bassbone721 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:06 pm On my 3b, I have a corp. 6 1/2 al and a new 6 1/2 and the corp is slightly darker, but the newer is slightly more easy to play.
That is what i found also.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

The quick answer to any question about comparing Bach mouthpieces is: they're different.

Got two you bought on the same day? They're different.

And it's not just Bach. I have never found two mouthpieces of the same model from any manufacturer that were identical.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Just find the one you like and practice
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

There is the time
Bubble Bill Hamilton
Went on the road w Doug Elliot
In a MOOD band
Bill had been trying to play 11C for years
Because of Jangles and Carl
Ok 4 rim w a Cish cup
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

The old ones are more expencive.
Leanit

Post by Leanit »

For some reason I've always liked the MV era better. I'm not sure whether they are, or perhaps it's just sentimentality for something old. That said, the New York pieces don't suit me.

The only consistent aspect is inconsistency.

Return to “Mouthpieces”