Anyone heard anything about the future of Laskey Mouthpieces?

JohnBass

Anyone heard anything about the future of Laskey Mouthpieces?

Post by JohnBass »

I know that Scott Laskey passed suddenly and I had heard that the blanks had been sold off, any word on future production? Im a huge fan of Scott's designs and hope to see them live on! Not least of which because Im scared about losing my only one!
Klimchak

Re: Anyone heard anything about the future of Laskey Mouthpieces?

Post by Klimchak »

If I recall correctly, Eastman bought the design/company. I have no idea if they are planning to reissue them. Others would be more knowledgeable in regards to future plans.
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

They are planning to continue them. Updates have been slow for awhile, but there is some information on the laskey company Facebook page.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

They purchased a CNC lathe, and have posted pictures of test mouthpieces. However I'm not sure how the whole COVID pandemic has affected progress.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Eastman was going to make them out of the Backun clarinet shop here in BC. I recall seeing a photo of a crane unloading a CNC lathe. That was a while ago.
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

I would love to try one when Eastman gets it back up and running, but the pandemic may have affected progress on “restarting” Laskey.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

We’re in pretty good shape here in BC. Maybe 15 new cases a day. Maybe 150 - 200 active cases in the province.

Eastman’s acquisition was a while ago. A year or more I think. I’ve been curious about the lack of progress since then.
Last edited by Bach5G on Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elow

Post by Elow »

I would be kind of scared to have laskey mouthpieces made by eastman, the store i work at is a big eastman dealer and their mouthpieces are straight trash. The plating is so thin it flakes off after a year or two and i hate how they play play against other brands like bach or even fax. Hopefully they’ll have enough respect for laskey to make a quality mouthpiece.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Backun is pretty highly regarded in the clarinet world and the Laskeys were going to be made in their shop.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

I sure hope this comes to light. I love my Laskey pieces and wouldn’t mind backups to my backups.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

I inquired about this a month or two before Covid hit. They are still in the process of getting production up and running and they are going to be released to the market at some point. But.... with Covid happening it's anyone's guess as to when. Shires is back up and running. I know the laws in Canada for Covid and businesses are different so I have no idea how that has affected getting Laskey back up and running.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'd be interested to know if they have the real Laskey CNC files.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Elow wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:53 pm I would be kind of scared to have laskey mouthpieces made by eastman, the store i work at is a big eastman dealer and their mouthpieces are straight trash. The plating is so thin it flakes off after a year or two and i hate how they play play against other brands like bach or even fax. Hopefully they’ll have enough respect for laskey to make a quality mouthpiece.
Like Bach 5G said... word is they'll be made in Canada by Backun. Completely different from those other mouthpieces.

Shires Q series instruments come with Shires (Picket) mouthpieces if I'm not mistaken.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Elow

Post by Elow »

Hopefully it will be the same quality, im in need of an 85MD.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

I hope they're back sooner rather than later. I'd LOVE to see another 93D fad in the bass trombone community.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Elow wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:53 pm I would be kind of scared to have laskey mouthpieces made by eastman, the store i work at is a big eastman dealer and their mouthpieces are straight trash. The plating is so thin it flakes off after a year or two and i hate how they play play against other brands like bach or even fax. Hopefully they’ll have enough respect for laskey to make a quality mouthpiece.
If the plating is flaking off, that's not a thickness issue. There's something not right in their plating process. The sad part is that doing it wrong can sometimes be just as expensive as doing it right...

Now if the plating is wearing through at the contact points? That's a sign that it's too thin (which is, in turn, a sigh that someone is cutting corners).

Of course, it's entirely possible for both issues to be present...
Elow

Post by Elow »

The shank plating wears off pretty fast, and about after a year of marching the cup starts to flake
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Elow wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:27 am The shank plating wears off pretty fast, and about after a year of marching the cup starts to flake
Bad both ways...
Elow

Post by Elow »

To be fair they do get used an abused daily.
Model34

Post by Model34 »

Good news: Flakey plating job? Get it replated by someone who does the job right. If in the Orlando area, you can drop in on Warburtons. Plating is a quick process. And while there, check out his pieces!

Return to “Mouthpieces”