Pickett Mouthpiece visit

Shumanbean

Pickett Mouthpiece visit

Post by Shumanbean »

I went for a fitting today at Pickett mouthpieces and wanted to pass along that it was a very good experience.
Nice people, easy to get along with, everyone masked and keeping distance, and they even let me hang out to watch a mouthpiece being made.

The fellow who took me through the facility also let me try mouthpieces. I told him what I was aiming for, and he took a look at my mouthpiece (Wick 7cs), and at my mouth, I guess, and considered my two horns (Bach 36 and Conn 6h) then brought out the most amazingly comfortable mouthpiece; not too big, not too small. I tried several, on both bones, and we didn't discuss them as to size or comparison, but after a couple of minutes playing etudes, I thought the first I'd tried played better - noticeably more easily - on both trombones, than any of my current mouthpieces.

I went there thinking I'd leave with a 7 rim and a deep cup, ended up purchasing two,both with #5 rims. The first is a 5M...sort of like a 5gs, I guess, but easier blowing and with a lot more mass, and allowed me to produce a more focused, bigger sound; it surprised me. The other is another 5 rim, but with a shallow cup. Both have the flatter rims with a good bite.

Nice people who make good, comfortable mouthpieces, in Lexington Kentucky.
djkennedy

Re: Pickett Mouthpiece visit

Post by djkennedy »

Great !!!!!!!!!
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I second this. I visited a few weeks ago and ended up with new pieces that work really well. Very professional people, didn’t try and push anything, just responded to questions and made adjustments as I asked for them.

These things are the real deal. Dial in the rim size, pick your cup depths and weights to match. High quality, no fuss.
bassbone

Post by bassbone »

I don't play their mouthpieces any more, but completely agree with your description.

I first went there to be a second set of ears for a good friend trying their stuff and left with a mouthpiece for myself. Very friendly, very knowledgeable people.

Blue Door BBQ about a block away is also worth visiting.
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

The guys are Pickett are really good people! Peter does some great things, especially in the trumpet world. I tried a few of the small shank pieces, then tried (unsuccessfully) to get a one-off custom piece done. (I think he was under the impression that I wanted him to market it. :idk: ) None of that worked out, but I still recommend visiting the shop and trying out some pieces! In fact, any brass player would do real well to visit central Kentucky to get a lesson with Vince DiMartino and visit the shop.

and yes, Blue Door Smokehouse cooks up some world class BBQ!
AEK

Post by AEK »

Have you guys ever had a chance to try out a Pickett 7 or in the similar size with a Bach 11C or 7C or 6 3/4C in size and could describe the feel and soundwise?
Ali Emre Kayhan
TRT Big Band
Rath R10
Doug Elliot STG99CC2
Sshhmute artist
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

The mp I went in with on small tenor was a 6 3/4 size, and that’s where I started. Their “lead” cup works really well with those rim sizes, but I ultimately went with something bigger. Keep in mind that depending on the rim profile you pick, the published specs may feel different.

Return to “Mouthpieces”