New York Bach Mouthpiece - The Missing 16

manbearscientist

New York Bach Mouthpiece - The Missing 16

Post by manbearscientist »

Little mystery here. This came with a Conn 4H (since sold, I believe it was from 1904). Identifying the time period of the piece shouldn't be too hard; I believe it was from the 30s. But the dimensions are all over the place and it isn't in any old catalogs I've seen.

The Carl Fischer catalog of 1929 lists a 15 and 17, but no 16. A Bach catalog from 1938 lists just the 15.

This seems to be a 'cheater' mouthpiece. If a 12C has a medium cup with a 24.50 mm rim and typically higher numbers having shallow cups or narrower rims, I wouldn't be surprised if this has a very shallow cup and rim as narrow as 24.20 mm. No idea on the throat or back bore. The rim is rounded.

Anyone ever seen one of these, or even seen it in a catalog?
Last edited by manbearscientist on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: New York Bach Mouthpiece - The Missing 16

Post by BGuttman »

I fixed your image cites. You were missing the .JPG extension.

First, a 4H would have to be 1919 or later. Similar models existed before then but did not include the name 4H.

The pictures do not show the 16 model number. Looks like you posted two copies of the same image.

Bach made smaller mouthpieces tha n 17. I know of a 22. It's small, but much bigger than an alto horn or trumpet mouthpiece.

Note that 75 years ago most players used small mouthpieces by today's standards.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
manbearscientist

Post by manbearscientist »

I've adjusted one of the images to show the model. My memory is almost certainly off on the 4H, as its been at least 8 years since I had it.

I have seen 17, 18, 19, and 22 (with various letter descriptions). But I've never seen another '16', hence the post.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Somewhere in a drawer I have a pristine 16, prolly tarnished by now. Where the heck is it? Anyway, if it shows up, I'll prolly offer it up as I'm a confirmed 11C guy.
Leanit

Post by Leanit »

Very cool.

Return to “Mouthpieces”