Giardinelli Size Chart? Plus M vs. D underparts?

olivegreenink

Giardinelli Size Chart? Plus M vs. D underparts?

Post by olivegreenink »

Is there a handy chart somewhere that my repeated Google searching is failing to uncover?

Also, specifically does anyone have a description and/or measurements of the differences between a 3M and 3D? I’m “assuming” M = Medium Cup and D = Deep Cup? But surely it’s not that easy?

Cheers and thanks
PhilTrombone

Re: Giardinelli Size Chart? Plus M vs. D underparts?

Post by PhilTrombone »

Hi..

Giardinelli 3M/D were my go-to mouthpieces for decades. Yes, M = Medium Cup; D= Deep.

I used the 3M for my Bach 36; 3D for my Conn 88H.
Can't get them any more. :weep:

I am not aware of any printed docs on the specs, sorry.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

I have a 3M/D combo (one screw rim, two underparts).

The “M” underpart I have is very shallow compared to what I think most players consider “medium”, and the “D” underpart is a deep “V” shaped cup. I really like the D cup on both my 6H and my 36.

The rim I have is a lot narrower and flatter than I’ve seen on other 3D/3M pieces, and is about the size of a Doug Elliott 103 rim.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

Here’s a link showing rim and throat sizes:

http://www.jazzer.de/forum/Giardinelli ... ombone.pdf
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

Thank you :)
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

No dimensions here, but still this might be interesting for you:
http://james-r-new.com/affiliates/new-y ... brass.html

James New who is producing these does really great work with his mouthpieces.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

That is funny, I also have two Giardinelly 3D and 3M, not the same rim but two different mpc. Sometimes I am thinking of going back to them. I used them for small bore and medium bore horns. Really nice pieces. The M is good for me on smallbore horns.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I really like the 4D and 5D. The M cups are way too shallow and bright for me.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

I used to play Giardinellies. The 3M is a 3 rim size but with a shallow cup, similar to Bach C cup, but as I recall larger throat. I could never get this one to work well for me, I felt my sound was hard and diffuse. The D cups were deeper, more like a Bach 4 (not 4G) or 5GS, and while this mouthpiece worked ok on small shank baritone horn, I felt is was too dark for small bore trombone. I had Schilke take my 3M and give it a cup like a 6 1/2 AL. I felt the cup matched a small bore better than the D cup and the cup depth was more in line with the 3 rim.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

To the OP: I have an old Giardinelli brochure somewhere - I'm pretty sure I can find it. I'll send you a scan of it when I find it.

Jim Scott
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:05 pm To the OP: I have an old Giardinelli brochure somewhere - I'm pretty sure I can find it. I'll send you a scan of it when I find it.

Jim Scott
This could be a great resource to many, and especially those looking for the info in the future. Is it something you’d be willing to post here, publicly? Would there be a copyright issue in doing so?
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I doubt there's any legal issue - I need to find it. I'll try to get to that today, and I may need some help as to how to post it here. My computer skills are limited.

Jim Scott
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I found the Giardinelli catalog and scanned the trombone pages. Either someone can talk me through how to post a pdf attachment here, or I can easily send it to anyone that wants it.via email. There's no date on the catalog, but I'm guessing by the address of the shop, it's from the early 80's - still in NYC, but not at their last address there before moving upstate.

Jim Scott
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I think this will work - here (hopefully) is a c.1980 Giardinelli catalog w/their trombone offerings:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

I think this will work - here (hopefully) is a c.1980 Giardinelli catalog w/their trombone offerings:

Thanks. I miss that place! One of the few musician stores in NY where a brass player was treated right.
mschlee

Post by mschlee »

I cannot see the Giardinelli Catalog posted above. "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." Any idea what's going wrong ?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

mschlee wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:31 am I cannot see the Giardinelli Catalog posted above. "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." Any idea what's going wrong ?
You need three approved posts to get full privileges.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

Greg Black is making the Giardinelli copies. Looks like beautiful mouthpieces! Of course, he does great work. I am sure they are accurate.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Greg Black has the old Giardinelli spec sheets. As a matter of fact, he said he found the spec sheet of a mouthpiece that I had Giardinelli make for me back in the day. Greg does excellent work!

Return to “Mouthpieces”