Bach Artisan series (small shanks) thoughts?

Cmillar

Bach Artisan series (small shanks) thoughts?

Post by Cmillar »

I've never tried any of the Bach Artisan series of mouthpieces.

If they're modeled after a certain Bach 'time period', what are they similar to?

Small shank comparisons anyone?

- are Artisans rims quite different? Any thoughts how they feel compared to older Bach New York pieces, Mt. Vernon pieces?

- is say, an Artisan 7C, a bigger blowing piece than new models? different than a NY 7C?

- Cup depth any different?

- is an Artisan 11C different than a new stock 11C?

Any thought or ideas appreciated!....hey, what's one to do during this time?
dukesboneman

Re: Bach Artisan series (small shanks) thoughts?

Post by dukesboneman »

I found the Artisan 7C to feel and sound small
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

It’s all mainly marketing hype, although there will be some variations between different eras, like there are with all sizes. I had a Artisan 6.5AL small shank and though it was a decent piece, but I prefer the Faxx 6.5. Not sure if the rim was that different...they’re maybe a heavier blank. I don’t think there’s much variation in cup specs though.

I was lucky enough to find a Mount Vernon 6.5a and it’s great, it just has a depth of sound that I haven’t found on other pieces. It’s the same with my MV 11c.

I would recommend trying to find a MV piece or the next best thing would be the Bob Reeves 11c and Clarke 6.5, they’re both great and hold their own with MV and NY pieces according to some who have played many variations of all eras.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

here a link to the Klier USA line MV pieces. I dont know if these are comparable with the Bach MV.
http://josefklier.de/mouthpieces/usa-line/?lang=en
http://josefklier.de/mouthpieces/trombone/?lang=en (scroll down to USA line)

Return to “Mouthpieces”