Giardinelli bass trombone mouthpieces

bort

Giardinelli bass trombone mouthpieces

Post by bort »

I'm new here... Apologies if this has been discussed to death.

Are the Giardinelli bass trombone mouthpieces any good? Years ago, I bought a handful as new old stock, for $5 each. Obviously, that was a give away... But are they any good?

I'm actually a tuba player, so I don't know much about trombone mouthpieces!

Thanks!
JohnL

Re: Giardinelli bass trombone mouthpieces

Post by JohnL »

I remember there was a flood of (IIRC) 1GM's that hit the market a while back. Steve Ferguson (hornguys.com) was practically giving them away.

Not collectible, but good mouthpieces. Roughly 1.5G-ish.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

I have a Giardinelli 1G and a 1GM. They are about the same size as my Mt. Vernon Bach 1 1/2G, perhaps 27.4 inches or so. The 1G has a depth of cup about like the 1 1/2G, perhaps a little more funnel shaped than the Bach. The most significant difference is that the rim is wider than the Bach, the 1G rim is about as wide as the typical tenor trombone rim. The 1GM is shallower than the 1G it's really the same cup as the Giardinelli 3GM which is a good mouthpiece for large bore tenor trombone. Ok for use on the tenor trombone with a large rim. Used to have a Giardinelli Symphony B, which was a less well known counter part to the Symphony T. The Symphony B was about the Size of a Bach 2G, but in the Giardinelli style. These are good mouthpieces, especially is you like a wider rim on the bass trombone, but they are somewhat smaller than what most players currently play.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I have a couple of them (I have to check sizes, but I think a 2G and a Symphony B) in really good shape if anyone is looking for one. I was looking for something to match a vintage bass, and they do that, but I hardly ever have the occasion to play bass.

Jim Scott
tubaductilis

Post by tubaductilis »

I really like the Giardinelli tenor mouthpieces I have (SYM-T, 3M, 3D, 4M)...

If you have too many bass mouthpieces, I'd be interested in taking one or two off your hands, or swapping for a Wick 1AL which doesn't suit me.... :)
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I just bought a Giardinelli 1G and 1GM last week.
II agree that the 1GM is a Large Bore Tenor mouthpiece.
The 1G I love.
I would never use it if I was doing an Orchestral gig or Concert Band or Brass Quintet.
But for Big Band or a show (If those ever happen again) YES !!
I get that real commercial 1960`s & `70s Bass Trombone sound
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

dukesboneman wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:17 am I just bought a Giardinelli 1G and 1GM last week.
II agree that the 1GM is a Large Bore Tenor mouthpiece.
The 1G I love.
I would never use it if I was doing an Orchestral gig or Concert Band or Brass Quintet.
But for Big Band or a show (If those ever happen again) YES !!
I get that real commercial 1960`s & `70s Bass Trombone sound
The Giardinelli 1G and 1GM both have roughly the same cup I.D. (~27.0mm; about the same as a "typical" Bach 1½G) - but the 1G has a rather deep cup, and the 1GM has a shallower cup. The Giard 1G throat is 7.10mm (about like a Bach 1½G), so it is indeed a bass trombone mouthpiece - even though it plays nothing like a Bach 1½G; the Giard 1GM throat is only 6.74mm. So with its shallow cup and smaller throat the 1GM is indeed like a large-diameter large-bore tenor mouthpiece, not a bass piece.

Gordon Hallberg was the bass trombonist in the Boston Symphony Orchestra from 1971 to 1983 (before Doug Yeo arrived and the equipment got bigger). Gordon successfully (for his time) played a Giardinelli 1G. Partially in his honor, that's what I also play on orchestra bass trombone. For me, it's a good orchestral bass trombone mouthpiece. (But I'm not playing with the BSO!) For Big Band, my favorite has been a Marcinkiewicz "Geo Roberts." I guess I'm just a nostalgic old codger (with limited airflow capacity)!

Return to “Mouthpieces”