Van Haney

stewbones43

Van Haney

Post by stewbones43 »

A friend has asked what I know about Van Haney mouthpieces as he has just got one. My answer is "Very little!"

I have searched on here but only found that they were similar to a 1 and 1/2 G in size but nothing else has come up.

Does anyone have any further information, please?

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
Fridge

Re: Van Haney

Post by Fridge »

It’s actually more like a 2G. He used this when I studied with in high school. 75-77. He sounded absolutely beautiful on it!

Eddie Clark
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Giardinelli made a Van Haney.
Holton made a Van Haney tenor and a Van Haney bass.

I played on the Holton VH tenor for a short time in college. Not a good mouthpiece.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:32 am Giardinelli made a Van Haney.
Holton made a Van Haney tenor and a Van Haney bass.

I played on the Holton VH tenor for a short time in college. Not a good mouthpiece.
I bet it was fine for Van Haney, though. And for anybody with an embouchure similar to his. Probably not for me. I did much better on a Remington.

If I recall correctly the Van Haney tenor mouthpiece was based on a modified 6.5 AL.

Bass was based on a modified 2G or 1 1/2 G if I recall correctly.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

I played very shortly on a bass mpc, more like 1 1/2G then 2G. That was in the late 60th or early 70th. It might have been good for somebody.
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Thanks guys.

So it's nearer a 2G than a 1 1/2G or it's nearer a 1 1/2G than a 2G, so it might be fairly close to a 1 3/4G, we will have to wait until somebody makes that size! :idk:

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If it works for you, that's all that matters.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I studied with Haney in the early '70s before FRIDGE did. The tenor mouthpiece Haney said was a copy of the mouthpiece he borrowed from Remington and had copied. He said it was a more faithful copy than the Giardinelli version or the Conn version. The Bass mouthpiece was smack between the 2G and the 1 1/2G. I still have both pieces. I kept them because he gave them to me.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I remember the bass piece as having a very sharp rim. Size wise I don't recall except that it was smaller than the 1 1/4G Bach I used during those days.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

ssking2b wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:05 pm I studied with Haney in the early '70s before FRIDGE did. The tenor mouthpiece Haney said was a copy of the mouthpiece he borrowed from Remington and had copied. He said it was a more faithful copy than the Giardinelli version or the Conn version. The Bass mouthpiece was smack between the 2G and the 1 1/2G. I still have both pieces. I kept them because he gave them to me.
Do You remember what was the difference between the original (or Van Haneys copy of the original) and the Conn copy....? I read in an old ITA journal that the Remington mouthpiece actually is a copy of an old Kruspe mouthpiece.. I know that the german firm W. Chr. Schmidt makes several middels.... Maybe one of the models are a copy too...
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I really don't know about the copies and their differences. Van Haney always said he felt the Holton copy of his original Giardinelli copy of Remington's personal mouthpiece was the most faithful reproduction he played.
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

When searching up on van Haney mouthpieces, I came across an interview with Marcellus in which he stated the following (http://www.davidbrubeck.com/2016/05/joh ... terrupted/):

“ KING ALSO DESIGNED THE “MARCELLUS MOUTHPIECE” DUPLICATED (BUT SMALLER) FROM THE VAN HANEY MODEL MADE BY GIARDINELLI MOUTHPIECES IN THE 1960’S. BY THE WAY, THE CONN REMINGTON MOUTHPIECE WAS DESIGNED FROM THE SAME KRUSPE MOUTHPIECE THAT LEWIS VAN HANEY USED TO CREATE THE VAN HANEY MODEL MANUFACTURED BY GIARDINELLI!”

I was searching up on van Haney mouthpieces because I was looking for a suitable mouthpiece for a Holton TR258 trombone that was supposedly designed with input from van Haney. I only play old Kruspe trombones and wanted to try an American trombone with screw bell. My larger Kruspe mouthpiece (I typically use it for a small Kruspe bass trombone) sounds extremely well with the Holton TR 258, much much better than a B&S ICON 6 1/2AL. This came as a surprise to me.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Unfortunately I have never tried Kruspe trombones or mouthpieces. But I can tell you that the Remington and van Haney mouthpieces are only vaguely related in some specs. The Giardinelli "van Haney" and the Holton VHT (van Haney Tenor) are also not the same. Supposedly the Giardinelli Symphony T was a van Haney model, but it was different too.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

ssking2b wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:05 pm I studied with Haney in the early '70s before FRIDGE did. The tenor mouthpiece Haney said was a copy of the mouthpiece he borrowed from Remington and had copied. He said it was a more faithful copy than the Giardinelli version or the Conn version. The Bass mouthpiece was smack between the 2G and the 1 1/2G. I still have both pieces. I kept them because he gave them to me.
Thanks for the correct usage. When I was at IU, I was told it was correctly said "Haney", not "van Haney".
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Loved “Jump!”.
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:02 am Unfortunately I have never tried Kruspe trombones or mouthpieces. But I can tell you that the Remington and van Haney mouthpieces are only vaguely related in some specs. The Giardinelli "van Haney" and the Holton VHT (van Haney Tenor) are also not the same. Supposedly the Giardinelli Symphony T was a van Haney model, but it was different too.
Thank you for the information. You are welcome to try both my trombones and mouthpieces from Kruspe if you pass by northern California at some point.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

I used to have a Giardinelli Symphony B, it was their version of Van Haney's bass mouthpiece, and as described above it was between a 2G and a 1 1/2G in size, but done in the Giardinelli style with a rim that was wide and comfy. It was about the same size as the Holton VHB but different rim feel, different cup shape.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I own a Holton VH-BASS mouthpiece and it seems like a 1.5 sized mpc to me. I also own a Holton "181" that might be a bit bigger.

I don't use them and would be happy to sell them.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

greenbean wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:53 pm I own a Holton VH-BASS mouthpiece and it seems like a 1.5 sized mpc to me. I also own a Holton "181" that might be a bit bigger.

I don't use them and would be happy to sell them.
Is your VH-Bass also larger than standard Morse taper shank? Mine was (and noticeably smaller otherwise than a 1.5G).
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

It’s been a couple years. I’ll pull them out and play them soon.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Mouthpieces”