Sterling Silver Trombone Mouthpiece

slipmo

Sterling Silver Trombone Mouthpiece

Post by slipmo »

Hi all! Finally finished up the sterling silver trombone mouthpiece project collaboration I've been doing with Bob Reeves/Brass Ark! We'll be releasing a whole video up on our Youtube channels soon that document the whole process, I'll be sure to link it when we publish. We finished the sterling 5G rim back in April and I had been using it on my brass underpart with great success. We finished this full sterling 5G underpart about two weeks ago and I've been using it ever since...

I have a vintage Almont sterling piece in my collection and its super cool, but wayyyyyy to small for me to play for real, so I've never really gotten to know what a sterling piece is like. Having a solid sterling piece in your normal size, that's a whole new ballgame! It's difficult to describe sound and characteristics in words, but the best way I can explain my first reaction was that I could really "feel" the notes vibrating and responding in my chops. There was a depth to the sound and physical connection that I wasn't prepared for… the sound was smooth and full and brilliant and dense all at the same time. Upper register felt extremely solid and flexible and the low range wide and full but the middle register so focused and direct. This will be my career mouthpiece (until we go make a solid gold one! :pant: )

Full story and photos up on the journal/blog portion: www.brassark.com/journal

Here's a quick synopsis:

Melting the sterling at 1750 degrees

Rough casting of the underpart

Cutting the taper into the shank

Threads for the rim

Hand Carving the outer shape

Cutting the cup

Final piece!
Last edited by slipmo on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Re: Sterling Silver Trombone Mouthpiece

Post by Burgerbob »

I've always wanted to try one of the Yamaha sterling mouthpieces. Glad to see someone else is giving it a shot!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I have a Sterling Silver Giardinelli Mouthpiece.
A Gentleman I used to play with pulled me aside one night on a Big band gig.
He said he had something for me. Bill was slowly leaving us from cancer.
He handed me this Giardinelli Mouthpiece that had a story with it.
In 1957 he joined the Dorsey Band under Warren Covington. Covington took the Trombone section to Giardielli`s
and had Robert Giardinelli make 3 copies of Warren`s mouthpiece in Sterling Silver.
He said it cost him $150 in 1957 , alot of money, but that mouthpiece meant a lot to him.
It was given to me with stipulations. He told me. "You were the only one from your generation (mid `70`s)
That had any interest in learning the older styles of playing Trombone. I want you to have this mouthpiece but...
Never sell it. Please pass it on to someone else that plays and loves the older styles."
It is very rich in overtones and projects like crazy but at a lower volume level it gets really pretty
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The links and photos are all broken. I love seeing your projects Noah!
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:54 pm The links and photos are all broken. I love seeing your projects Noah!
Should be fixed now. Thanks!
FEWeathers

Post by FEWeathers »

Noah, what's the rim size on your Almont? 23.5mm-ish?
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Nice job. Bet it is a job to recover the residue. I'm sure you started with a clean lathe so anything left on it would be your silver.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

FEWeathers wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:20 am Noah, what's the rim size on your Almont? 23.5mm-ish?
It is at Reeves shop right now, but I recall it being a bit bigger, 23.9mm or so, like a Bach 22C
walldaja wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 am Nice job. Bet it is a job to recover the residue. I'm sure you started with a clean lathe so anything left on it would be your silver.
Yes indeed, we clean all the brass chips off the lathes in prep for the silver, then save as many of the shavings as possible to remelt for future projects.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Noah - I'm curious - have you tried the sterling mouthpiece along with a sterling leadpipe? Just wondering if that would be a good combination, or if a mix of materials (sort of like rose tuning slide w/yellow bell) seems to work better. The sterling mouthpiece is an interesting idea, regardless. Congratulations - sounds like it's an experiment that has worked for your playing.

Jim Scott
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

Hi Jim,

Actually, yes! I have a seamed sterling Ark/Close pipe that I use (I had Brad make me a one off 1919 8H pipe in sterling) and it seems to work really well with this pipe. I also tested it in my Shires (1Y, rotary, RS tuning, TW47C slide, standard 2 pipe) and it works great in that horn too.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

Hello Noah,
btw
which size, diameter and throat has your new alto trombone mouthpiece?
How deep is the cup comparing to a C cup?
Thanks
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

heinzgries wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:04 am Hello Noah,
btw
which size, diameter and throat has your new alto trombone mouthpiece?
How deep is the cup comparing to a C cup?
Thanks
Hi Heinz!

Our alto piece has a 24.8mm inner diameter, the rim width is 6.4mm with a semi flat crown and it has an .234" throat, slightly more shallow than a C cup.

Based on a custom one off Schilke-Peebles Alto Trombone/Bass Trumpe mouthpiece that Reynold Schilke made for Byron Peebles in 1960 while he was in the CSO.

Best!
Noah

Return to “Mouthpieces”