Lightweight, Standard or Heavyweight?

BigBadandBass

Lightweight, Standard or Heavyweight?

Post by BigBadandBass »

Hey all, I have been looking at Greg Black's pieces and wondering for those who play them, which weight do you use? Is there a difference? How does the weight of Doug's LB bass mouthpieces compare? I currently play a marcinkiewicz EBT1 and was looking for something similar in rim size and maybe a little weightier

Thanks!
Burgerbob

Re: Lightweight, Standard or Heavyweight?

Post by Burgerbob »

I've played all the weights except heavyweight. Light, New York (not the mouthpiece line, a Giardinelli-looking blank... maybe this isn't the name of it) star, regular, medium.

I prefer regular weight, right in the middle. Light (and New York) loses a lot of the fundamental to the sound, as well as the higher end of the volume spectrum. Star is the same weight as regular but the mass is in a different place, I preferred my regulars. Medium is pretty heavy and slows the response down pretty drastically.

What pieces are you looking at specifically? Some with the stock throat and backbore will play a bit better in medium weight, but otherwise I think regular is the goldilocks option.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

I was going to email Doug here soon, but for GB probably a 1 1/8 in regular weight and regular throat. I started playing on a Doug Yeo, then moved to a Giddings Don Harwood and Griego 1, EBT1 since and have enjoyed the sizes around there. 28.5 is too small, 29 is too large so I think I'm stuck in-between. The EBT1 works super well for me, but my low notes aren't as centered as I want them to be (double valved low B and below). That was probably a lot of unhelpful rambling
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

You're going to have a hard time finding anything comparable to that EB1 in Greg's line. Certainly not the standard offerings. My strong sense is that you will do better with Doug Elliott. Something like an LB113 with a K cup. It will be significantly weightier in feel and sound than the Marcinkiewicz.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Gabe is probably right. The GB stuff is going to be a massive departure from the Marc, and looking at the trombones you play, probably not the right direction.

If you did go with GB, I'd get a 1 1/8G .312 #2 in regular weight, not the stock throat.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

By all means contact Doug. He can set you up with the ideal combination for you.

The first time I contacted him, about 2004, he recommended a combination that was spot on! I, like a dummy, drifted about 6 years ago and wandered in the wilderness. I'm now back on the original setup he recommended, and life is good!
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Doug's tweaks seem to get even better as time goes on. My new * shank from him has what looks like a bevel on the exit of the shank to eliminate the gap between the shank and the receiver. This is something I have seen on only one other trombone mouthpiece (which I love), but it's common I guess in trumpet mouthpieces. Maybe there was a bevel on my other shanks all along. I don't know.

Why am I saying this? Weight is just one factor in mouthpiece design. It's not everything, just one small piece of the puzzle.

FWIW, I think the new symphony line is Doug Elliott's foray into heavier mouthpieces, but I might be wrong. There are just too many options and variables and, then, settings to use the gear in, to make good suggestions. I think that there is a reason why makers create a regular weight, however.
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Thank you all for the replies and feedback! As of now it sounds like Doug is going to be getting an email here soon about a possible mouthpiece setup
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

BigBadandBass wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:04 pm Thank you all for the replies and feedback! As of now it sounds like Doug is going to be getting an email here soon about a possible mouthpiece setup
:good: :good:
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Standard.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

You could order the EBT1in the CONCERT weight from Marcinkiewicz. They would have to make it up for you, but they could!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Mouthpieces”