Differences Between Lexan And Delrin Rims

Driswood

Differences Between Lexan And Delrin Rims

Post by Driswood »

I have an Elliott LT100/C/C2 with a Lexan rim. Love it.

A friend is looking at a mouthpiece with a Delrin rim. What are the differences in feel, sound, and response?

I'm trying to steer him toward one of Doug's pieces.

EDIT: Is Delrin softer than Lexan?
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
tbonesullivan

Re: Differences Between Lexan And Delrin Rims

Post by tbonesullivan »

I think that Delrin may be slightly harder than Lexan / polycarbonate, but it also depends on the specific blend used.

Lexan / Polycarb is used for safety glasses, motorcycle helmet faceshields, etc. It's quite durable.

I would wager that there isn't going to be much difference with just a rim when comparing the two.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Lexan (polycarbonate) is generally harder than Delrin, for what it's worth.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Lexan is harder and more brittle than Delrin. Lexan can be polished/machined to a finer/smoother surface finish. Lexan is less "grippy" than delrin on the chops.
Last edited by hornbuilder on Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

hornbuilder wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:29 pm Lexan is harder and more brittle than Delrin. Lexan can be polished/machined to a finer/smoother surface finish. Lexan is less "grippy" than delving on the chops.
I wonder if those Delrin rims are entirely molded instead of molded and then machined.

Delrin is good for guitar picks. Of course virtually every hard plastic known to man has been used for guitar picks.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

The delrin rims I have played were fully machined from rod stock. I don't know if Doug molds his Lexan rims or not.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
DonH

Post by DonH »

Lexan feels more sticky than Delrin. Both warm up quickly.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

hornbuilder wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:00 pm The delrin rims I have played were fully machined from rod stock. I don't know if Doug molds his Lexan rims or not.
In that case, I would think they are made from rod stock as well. The cost is probably far lower than individually making blanks, and no setup.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I machine everything, that's the only practical way to produce hundreds of different parts.

Delrin cuts like butter and is very easy to get a smooth finish. I just don't like the stuff. It has formaldehyde in it. And it reflects heat so it feels hot; acrylic is the same way.

Lexan is a real pain to work with and difficult to get a smooth finish. It is a bit grippier which I like, and it feels very temperature-neutral, not hot.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

As an engineer, I've had parts made of delrin in the past, and I can't imagine that being as good as any of the lexan mouthpieces or parts that I use. I have 3 lexan DE rims and 3 lexan Kelly tuba mouthpieces. I like the lexan better than gold plating for avoiding metal allergy issues.

Plus, I think lexan deals with moisture a little better than delrin, and I don't think delrin comes in clear.
andym

Post by andym »

Thanks all, I appreciate learning more about these materials. I've been playing on one of Doug's lexan rims for a long time and just started trying a Wedge Delrin rim in its place. I'm not sure I can separate the shape and the material, at this point. I do wish the Wedge came in Lexan. And only partially because I hate the look of the black rim. The formaldehyde isn't great news either.
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.
tim

Post by tim »

FYI, I've recently received a Lexan rim set-up from Doug (Doug, thanks a bunch! I truly appreciate you kind responses ) and found that I have an allergy to silver. Big red circles, thought I was using too much pressure in my old age. After working with the Lexan, they've gone away.
Tim

"We play a slide bugle"

Return to “Mouthpieces”