Warburton small shank questions

ithinknot

Warburton small shank questions

Post by ithinknot »

How do the Warburton S and M cups (careful now) compare to DE letters or the Bachiverse?

If you're using these, what's your preferred T or T* backbore, and do you feel the need to change backbores when using the same cup with different instruments/bore sizes?

I realise the importance of testing them personally, but without access to the convention table of samples I'm just trying to get a rough idea - I'm assuming a T4 would probably be the default for .500 ~ .508 horns?

Thanks in advance!
BGuttman

Re: Warburton small shank questions

Post by BGuttman »

Only have one backbore, a T4 (no star) and it works great with my 7D cup. The 7D seems to be about the same as my Elliott G cup. I also have an 8M which is deeper than my E cup.

I know it's not much, but I'm not much into extensive experimenting.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I have an 8S/4* as my main small bore mouthpiece. The S is VERY shallow. Super efficient and works really great for most things I need a small bore for. Absolutely killer on big band lead, salsa, or pop.

I've never tried the M cup, and I did try different backbores when I got fitted for the piece, but I don't remember anything other than knowing immediately than the 4* was the one for me when I tried it. I'd like to try the M cup at some point and see how it compares to my Hammond 13M and 11M.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

8M is closer to a Hammond 11M than a 13M.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:05 pm 8M is closer to a Hammond 11M than a 13M.
Yeah, the 8 is a big size. I just meant in terms of how it plays. My 13M and 11M are both great pieces that each work better on different horns...if only I could find the 13M!
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

Basically I am affiliated with Warburton. I was considered his low brass rep for quite a while. I am pretty intimately familiar with his mouthpieces. I can answer just about anything about them that you would like to know. Feel free to call me even if you like. (386) 473-2235. My name is Bill Hamilton.
Gatt

Post by Gatt »

Slidehamilton wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:46 am Basically I am affiliated with Warburton. I was considered his low brass rep for quite a while. I am pretty intimately familiar with his mouthpieces. I can answer just about anything about them that you would like to know. Feel free to call me even if you like. (386) 473-2235. My name is Bill Hamilton.
Hi Bill.

I have what looks like a Warburton 7D top marked,

'HOUSER MPC. WORKS BILL HAMILTON'..............with a '5' shank.

Do you know anything about it?

Steve.
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

I had bought that top from Bill. He had 2 of them, one with the black titanium coating, one with the gold titanium coating.

* Correction, I had bought both of the tops from Bill. They ended up a bit big for me, though I kept coming back to them over a number of years.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:34 pm The 7D seems to be about the same as my Elliott G cup. I also have an 8M which is deeper than my E cup.
Thanks all - that's very helpful.

If the M is deeper than an Elliott E, then it's definitely only the S that would be of interest - looking for lead (and occasional alto dabbling). I'm not all that bright to begin with :biggrin: so even a pretty shallow cup isn't too dangerous to local paintwork.

And particular thanks to Bill - I really appreciate the offer. I'll try some options and will certainly drop you an email if I get stuck!
Last edited by ithinknot on Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

Ok. The Elliot E cup is considerably deeper than the Warburton D cup actually. The Warburton M cup is probably comparable to an Elliott C cup or so. I would say as far as cup depth is concerned the Warburton D cup and Elliott D cup are about the same, but the Warburton is much more "V" shaped. The rims are very different as well.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Slidehamilton wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:56 pm Ok. The Elliot E cup is considerably deeper than the Warburton D cup actually. The Warburton M cup is probably comparable to an Elliott C cup or so. I would say as far as cup depth is concerned the Warburton D cup and Elliott D cup are about the same, but the Warburton is much more "V" shaped. The rims are very different as well.

Thanks for clearing this up. That makes more sense.
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

You're welcome.

Return to “Mouthpieces”