Schilke 52e2

hyperbolica

Schilke 52e2

Post by hyperbolica »

When I was in music school, my mouthpiece quest landed me in a Schilke 52e2. Thanks to Doug Elliott, I don't have to search around for mouthpieces anymore, but sometimes I still do.

I'm actually looking for something for my euphonium . I alternate between a 2g, Ferguson V and maybe a Yamaha 60 or a Bach 1.25. So I tried a 52e2 again. The feel is most similar to the 2g, but it has a slightly smaller inner diameter, and a clearer sound. It has a similar rim as the 2g, with very rounded outer rim and fairly sharp inner rim.

In the end, I like the feel of the 2g better, but I like the sound of the 52e2 better.

I like to check to see what forum members think of stuff before I buy it. In this case there weren't many opinions of the 52e2. I figured I'd post this so we have some entry on this mouthpiece for others who are looking.

The specs show the 52e2 is deeper than it is wide. So if you like a 4g or 3g, but want something deeper, this might do the trick. It's definitely a good euphonium piece, especially if you are used to rims in the 102-103 range.

In the end, I think I'll stay with the 2g and just put the 52e2 on the shelf until I start playing more 547 bone again.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
modelerdc

Re: Schilke 52e2

Post by modelerdc »

I've known a few who played the euphonium well with a Bach 2G, so having a mouthpiece made with a 2G rim, but with the cup and shank portion more like a 52E2 could work well. As custom mpc made from scratch is ideal but expensive. If you could find good used examples of the 2G and the 52E2, you could have the 2G rim cut off and threaded for the 52E2 cup. There are several custom mpc makes who could do this and save you some over a complete custom. Also bear in mind that it's hard to copy the inside of mouthpiece back bores, so this way of combining two mouthpieces may actually give more predictable results.

Return to “Mouthpieces”