Help deciding on bass trombone MP

jcemu07

Help deciding on bass trombone MP

Post by jcemu07 »

I am a euphonium player that has been playing bass trombone for a few years now (I bought a used Bach Strad Model 50 back in the early 2000s). I have been using a Yamaha 51DL MP on my bass trombone. I use a Schilke 51D on my euphonium. Looking to get a legit bass trombone MP. I have read Bach 1 1/2G or 2G are good to start with. Does anyone have suggestions? Greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Last edited by jcemu07 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
Bass Trombone - Vincent Bach Stradivarius Model 50
Euphonium - Hirsbrunner HBS 378
elmsandr

Re: Help deciding on bass trombone MP

Post by elmsandr »

Those are good to start with. Don't get fooled by playing a huge bathtub and how it makes some of the basement stuff work... even in pretty heavy modern literature you will need a good sound up in the staff and above.

It will be some work down low, don't be afraid of some work. Don't bang your head against the wall, either, but put in the time.

Confessions of a former bored out Schilke 60 player,
Andy
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

What he said. Those Bachs are a good starting point.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

1 1/2 G was the original mouthpiece supplied with Bach basses.

Some liked the smaller 2G (Ray Premru, for example).

I even like a 1 1/2 G on a Euphonium. More of a tenor tuba sound.

There are a variety of mouthpieces around 1 1/2 G size. Don't consider Bach the be-all and end-all. But a good 1 1/2 G can be good for a lifetime.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Elow

Post by Elow »

I would try a schilke 58, they’re a pretty good starting piece
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

When I started really taking Bass Trombone seriously, I started with a Yamaha 59 (It`s about a Bach 1 1/G size)
The Yamaha 59, Bach 1 1/2G, or Schilke 58 are all excellent starting points. I`m still using my Schilke 58, Love the sound
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

1.5G has the advantage of being easy to find for cheap (many bass bones come with one in the case that never gets used, and there are solid replicas from Faxx and others).

Really though any basically sensible bass trombone piece is workable. I wouldn't overthink it, at least until you've logged enough practice hours to have a clear sense of what you want to change in your sound.
yhc

Post by yhc »

Hello
For me, my main instrument is the tenor and I started with a yamaha 59 and it had a good deep sound. Now I have a Griego #2 that is almost equal to the Yamaha 59 in terms of the diameter of the cup but more deeper. The difference now is that the sound is heard bigger and deeper. At first you may have a peak of trouble mastering it but then you will have a better sound.

Cheers!!!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If you like the Schilke 51D, certainly try a Schilke 59. It's not as ubiquitous as the Bach 1.5G, at least anecdotally, but it's still widely popular. The rim is a little narrower on it than the Bachs which I certainly have a preference for. AFAIK, Doug based some of his rims off of the 59/60 and I find his rims to be extraordinarily comfortable, especially as a doubler.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Schilke 59 is a tad larger than the Bach 1 1/2 G (more like equivalent to the 1 1/4 G) I played one for a number of years when I finally found the 1 1/2 G was a little smaller than I wanted. The Schilke size comparable to the 1 1/2 G is 58. The Yamaha size comparable to the 1 1/2 G is 59 (go figure).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:34 pm Schilke 59 is a tad larger than the Bach 1 1/2 G (more like equivalent to the 1 1/4 G) I played one for a number of years when I finally found the 1 1/2 G was a little smaller than I wanted. The Schilke size comparable to the 1 1/2 G is 58. The Yamaha size comparable to the 1 1/2 G is 59 (go figure).
Yeah, definitely larger than 1.5. It's a good balance between the Schilke 60/Yeo/1G size and the smaller size if that's more your ball of wax. I do more commercial stuff so I'd been using a 114/K/K8 before the pandemic which is roughly 60 rim with the 59 depth, which incidentally I use for Euph too but with a 104N rim. I had a good Mt. Vernon 2G for awhile too but it just wasn't as easy to play for me as the 114 is.
jcemu07

Post by jcemu07 »

Thanks for the information all. Very helpful! I ended up getting a Schilke 58.

Return to “Mouthpieces”