Big Small Bore Mouthpiece

alberttrombone

Big Small Bore Mouthpiece

Post by alberttrombone »

Hello everyone!

Since here in Barcelona it's not possible to try different mouthpieces in a store (even when there was no COVID19 you couldn't find almost anything else than a Bach 6 1/2), can you help me in my search?

I'm looking for a "big" mouthpiece for a medium bore trombone, for a Bach 36.
I want a bigger cup diameter than the Bach 5GS that I have now and I was thinking about a Dennis Wick 5BS for example...

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time and take care!
marccromme

Re: Big Small Bore Mouthpiece

Post by marccromme »

When you say big, do you mean large cup diameter, or also large cup Volumen and big throat and back bore?

There are schilke 51 with small shank, but personally I prefer a smaller Yamaha 48 D for medium bore.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I just got a Rath S4 1/2 and like the way it works for me with a Bach 36. It‘s comfortable on my face and has a good balance of material quantity and feedback. I‘d use it for light orchestral playing with the Bach 36 given the chance and think this would be a great combo for upper parts in symphonic wind orchestra, brass band or 10-piece ensembles also.

I already had a Rath S5 which I also like a lot but may even slightly prefer the feel of the S4 1/2 based on first impressions. My chops just feel a bit more relaxed with the 4 1/2.

There‘s also a Rath S4, which is slightly larger again, I haven‘t tried it yet so can‘t say much about it other than I‘ve been generally impressed with the design and manufacturing quality of all Rath mouthpieces I‘ve tried.

The Rath mouthpieces are more expensive than standard Bach/Wick models etc. but are still way cheaper than some boutique models, at least in Europe and when I last looked around.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Sure, you could go the Griego-Alessi route and get a small bore mouthpiece with a width up to a 2G and a depth to almost the same.

Or, you could go the Doug Elliott route and get a cup width up to almost any size you want, and to almost any depth.

I would suggest Doug Elliot. I have his mouthpieces for my small bore and my alto. I keep thinking I should just get a couple for my large bore and just be done with it.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

A Bach 4 with a small shank is a stock item and should work, not my favorite I feel it could use a little bit bigger throat. Bach also makes a 3 with a small shank. As these are stock you should be able to order them.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

modelerdc wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:04 pm A Bach 4 with a small shank is a stock item and should work, not my favorite I feel it could use a little bit bigger throat. Bach also makes a 3 with a small shank. As these are stock you should be able to order them.
IMO these have too small of throats to really jive with a .525. Yes, that rhymes.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Doug Elliott can put together whatever you want
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve been getting excellent results on a Schilke 51B on my small horns
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

On my Bach 36 I've used a Wick 4BS, Warburton 7D/4 shank, Bach 4C, Remington small shank, and of course, my Elliott LT 102/E/E4

I know you can get a Schilke 52 in small bore, and probably Laskey 57 (5 equivalent) or 59 (4 equivalent).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

What is the most comfortable and successful rim size that works best for you?

In my mouthpieces, I would suggest something from the LT or XT series, with an E cup and E4 shank. I use an XT N104, E, E4 on my 36B. (The "N" is for narrow, I prefer thin rims). I offer lots of choices and it's not a problem to send to Barcelona. I just wish I could go myself.... I love Barcelona.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

Email sent from Granada :wink:
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

dukesboneman wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:25 pm I`ve been getting excellent results on a Schilke 51B on my small horns
Used that for 30 years on .525" horns. I only moved away from it for a Doug Elliott setup which is in my signature.
Last edited by Trav1s on Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

alberttrombone wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:26 pmI'm looking for a "big" mouthpiece for a medium bore trombone, for a Bach 36.
I want a bigger cup diameter than the Bach 5GS that I have now and I was thinking about a Dennis Wick 5BS for example...
A little bigger or a lot bigger?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

• First choice: Contact Doug Elliott

• My second choice would be a small-shank Schilke 51 (I regularly play a large-shank Schilke 51 on my 0.547" bore tenor).

• Unlike some others, I've never found myself compatible with a Schilke 51B.
In fact, I have a small-shank 51B that I will be selling some day soon.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

Burger bob wrote "IMO these have too small of throats to really jive with a .525. Yes, that rhymes."

I feel that way too. I'd like to see them with throats and back bores more like a 6 1/2AL or perhaps a 5GS cup, but Bach is Bach!
some other ones to consider, Schilke 52D, which sounds nice on a 36, Warburton 4GS, also very good, Giardinelli 3D, large but hard to find, and of course Doug Elliott.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I dont do much tenor work and not often on a 525 bore but when I do Doug Elliots set up XT N104, E, E4 is by far the best set up I have ever played, totally brilliant for a 525. The bonus is you just buy the large shank and it will play just as well on a 547. My principal trombone plays a 525 bore Yamaha and has this exact set up and he swears by it. Doug Elliot has the power to deliver whatever you want by fine tuning the components. Talk to him... Doug
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

I bought a Bach 4 from a forum member here long ago that was a custom order with a bigger throat, stamped "F" at the cup/shank area. It plays pretty well but I bought a setup from Doug that has supplanted it.

For years before, however, I used a Bach 5G/5GS on my small shank .525/547 horns. This 4 is great for that purpose too.
alberttrombone

Post by alberttrombone »

marccromme wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:36 pm When you say big, do you mean large cup diameter, or also large cup Volumen and big throat and back bore?

There are schilke 51 with small shank, but personally I prefer a smaller Yamaha 48 D for medium bore.
Both! Thanks!
alberttrombone

Post by alberttrombone »

Thanks for all that shared knowledge!
BenjaminStrickland

Post by BenjaminStrickland »

Hello, we can make all of our Symphony Tenor and New York models for small bore tenor trombones. If interested just shoot us an email. Thanks!
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

take a look on the JK EXCLUSIVE line. Avaiable with small, medium and large shank. Sometimes i play a 4 F
(26,50 mm) on my alto
https://www.jk-klier.de/en/mouthpieces/ ... n#trombone
Slidennis

Post by Slidennis »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:12 pm
modelerdc wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:04 pm A Bach 4 with a small shank is a stock item and should work, not my favorite I feel it could use a little bit bigger throat. Bach also makes a 3 with a small shank. As these are stock you should be able to order them.
IMO these have too small of throats to really jive with a .525. Yes, that rhymes.
I second this : the throat is too small for my liking... (smaller than the 6.5 AL)
Denis the musician wannabe trying to depart from gear geeking... :shuffle:
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

throat size of the Klier EXCLUSIVE line, example size 4 (26,50 mm)
4 A 7,2 mm very deep
4 B 6,8 mm deep
4 C 6,4 mm medium
4 D 6,0 mm shallow
4 E 5,8 mm very shallow
4 F 5,8 mm extrem shallow
Ted

Post by Ted »

Heinzgries,

Do you also know which cupdepth matches with an G, or GS?

kr,
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

i think its the B CUP
Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

I have been playing a Yamaha YSL-352 and I have small shank mouthpieces. If I change to a YSL-447GS, what size shank mouthpiece will I need?
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

Trhtrbn wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:32 am I have been playing a Yamaha YSL-352 and I have small shank mouthpieces. If I change to a YSL-447GS, what size shank mouthpiece will I need?
Still a small shank.
Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

Thanks
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I like a small shank 51 or an Elliott LT 104 E E4 on my.525 Shires.
Last edited by Bach5G on Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:12 pm IMO these have too small of throats to really jive with a .525. Yes, that rhymes.
I came here to say this. I play a 79h and my AR 60 back bore was plugging up. The 65 opened things up and made it easier.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

I appreciate all input, to paraphrase what a wise person once said, the only bad response is no response. I have been talking to my bass bone instructor about which mouthpiece to get for my Bach Omega 0.547 large bore tenor to play bass parts until my used YBL-612 gets here from Japan, probably a few weeks. I am getting a Yamaha 59L for my bass bone. He recommended for the large bore tenor to use a Bach 5G or equivalent. My question is does anyone use a Yamaha small shank 52? Can someone tell me what they think of that mouthpiece, please?
Thom H
King 4B bone, Denis Wick 5AL Mouthpiece.
Yamaha YSL-3530R bone, Bach 5G small shank mouthpiece.
btone

Post by btone »

I just saw your question. I think the Yamaha 52 small shank mouthpiece is a very good medium bore (.525) trombone mouthpiece. It could probably work pretty well on a baritone horn or small shank euphonium, too, because it is not over-bright in any register, and has a good low range. In size it is not very different from a Schilke 51 small shank, but reminds me a little more of a Bach mouthpiece. I also tried the large shank Yamaha 52 but wasn't impressed with it. It doesn't seem to work nearly as well, and I really couldn't see a use for it.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

The Griego Artist small shank pieces are really nice. So are Doug Elliott's options.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Trhtrbn wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:32 am I have been playing a Yamaha YSL-352 and I have small shank mouthpieces. If I change to a YSL-447GS, what size shank mouthpiece will I need?
The 447 is the straight version of the 448. They are .547-bore horns and take large shank mouthpieces.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

greenbean wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:41 am
The 447 is the straight version of the 448. They are .547-bore horns and take large shank mouthpieces.
You're right... I was thinking of the YSL-445.
flotrb

Post by flotrb »

I have been pleased with the Marcinkiewicz 8H-S on my 1975 King Sterling 3B .508" bore tenor. The 8H-S works with ease in all registers, especially the "factitious" and pedal notes. Although the Marcinkiewicz catalog likens it to a VB 6½AL, I think of it more in the VB 4 class.

iBuena Suerte!
Last edited by flotrb on Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Trust...but verify)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

flotrb wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:51 pm I have been pleased with the Marcinkiewicz 8H-S on my 1975 King Sterling 3B .508" bore tenor. The 88H-S works with ease in all registers, especially the "factitious" and pedal notes. Although the Marcinkiewicz catalog likens it to a VB 6½AL, I think of it more in the VB 4 class.

iBuena Suerte!
I beg to differ. I normally play Bach 4 sized mouthpieces (4C, 4G, Wick 4BL, DE 102 rim) and I found the Marc 8H to feel much smaller. I was thinking of trying a 6, but other stuff came along and I never followed through.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Beaker

Post by Beaker »

Have You looked at or considered a Bach 3G by chance. They come in both small and large shanks.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I (briefly) tried a small-shank Bach 3 mouthpiece, and found it to be terribly unbalanced. Large Cup, very small (5.85mm) Throat. I think that's when I decided if I want a larger diameter Rim, i should check out Doug Elliott's system. Works much better! If you like Doug's Rim shape (I do) you can get pretty much anything you want and be happy.

Too many confuse bigger Rim with bigger Cup - because (especially) with Bach, that's all you get. Doug has shown that it doesn't have to be that way - from him you can get a large diameter Rim with a medium (or even small) volume Cup.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

I switched to AR and have been happy with Tony’s 25.70 with the 65 backbore with my Williams 8/9 and Bach 36B. I feel it’s right on the money for medium bore horns.
Drew A.
Professional bum.

Return to “Mouthpieces”