Hammond Mouthpiece question

dukesboneman

Hammond Mouthpiece question

Post by dukesboneman »

I`m currently playing on Schilkes on all my horns . 51 series
On my small bore horns I`m using a 51B. There are things I like and things I don`t.
I`m starting to look at Hammond for the small horn.
Does their rim have a little more of a bite than the Schilke?
Do they offer a more ":Commercial" mouthpiece in that size?
Anyone play that size now? What do you think?
Thanks
Burgerbob

Re: Hammond Mouthpiece question

Post by Burgerbob »

You can order any of the depths with almost any of the rim sizes, I think. A 12M, 12S, or 12XS would be shallower 5-size tenor pieces. As for more bite, maybe? They're a bit flatter than some Schilke rims.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

My guess is they do.

I played a 14S for a very long time and really liked it. It was equivalent to a 7C. I ended up switching to something a little bigger (AR 25.10) because I was having a hard time getting my low range to open up. I have also played the Hammond 13S and 13M and liked them both. Those are 6.5 sized rims.

I believe Karl used to work for Schilke so he should be very familiar with your setup. I would give them a call or send them an email.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I would normally call them but it`s 4:20 on Christmas Eve.
I doubt anyone will be there.
I can wait
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

I find their rims to be quite comfortable -- rounded, yet not as narrow/thin in width as some the Schilke large tenor and bass pieces. He can make you whatever you want, I'm sure. Stock pieces are $150 and as BurgerBob stated, you'd be looking at the 12S or 12Xs (probably the former for better tone quality). Custom pieces are $300, but you can also have a standard model made with a variation on the rim, cup, throat, or backbore for $200 and it's considered "semi-custom". Gold plating is an additional $75.

Doug Elliott also has every imaginable configuration with a 30-day trial period, and decades of knowledge not only as a designer/craftsman, but as a musician and pedagogue.
Last edited by jjenkins on Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

The Pickett 5.5 sounds interesting
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Definitely email your questions to Hammond. They are very responsive. Karl Hammond worked at Schilke and developed the "Symphony" series there, so he would know exactly what you're asking.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

I’ve played a standard weight Hammond 13M almost exclusively the last ten years. Mostly on a Conn 6H and a Bach 36B. I think the small bore pieces are “skeletonized” as the standard now. Since 2017 I started playing an AR Resonance piece, but frequently go back to the Hammond for comfort. Really responsive, super comfortable, projects really well, which helps with endurance during longer sets. Also had a skeletonized 12S with a stainless steel rim for a brief time. It too played great, especially in a 36, but the 13M was a better fit for me. Highly recommend!
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I talked with the people at Hammond and they recommended the 12M.
I bought a Light weight 12M from Dillon`s and am eagerly awaiting it`s arrival.
Interestingly my 51B seems like it knows it`s getting replaced, because everything s starting to work perfectly.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

I play a hammond that's something like the 12L for orchestral trombone. I find it to have the perfect amount of grip & comfort, but try one out, and if it doesn't work just return it. I believe Hickey's allows trials.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
FEWeathers

Post by FEWeathers »

The Hammonds have really open backbores. On the 12M, I'd call it a 6 shank if it was one of Doug Elliot's backbores. Also, a really cheap substitute for the 13M would be the Blessing 6 1/2 AL. They're really similar in the cup, throat, and backbore.

Good luck with it!
Last edited by FEWeathers on Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

I play a 12M on a couple of horns, .500 to .525. I'd say it's a bit like a 51C4 with a slightly more open throat and less v-shaped cup. I haven't played on any Schilke rims in years, so can't comment on that, but I've definitely played Bach rims that were similar to the Hammond. The 12S for me was just too tight. FYI my most regular small bore mouthpiece is a DE XT 101/C+/4, depends on the horn.
YMMV
FEWeathers

Post by FEWeathers »

"I'd say it's a bit like a 51C4 with a slightly more open throat and less v-shaped cup."

That's odd, as the 12M is totally a V-shaped, funnel-like cup, with no shoulders, heading straight into a smaller, .257" (F) throat, and then out through that big, open backbore. The small shank 51C4 is much closer to a Bach 5GS than it is to the Hammond.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

And I've found that the small-shank Yamaha 51C4 (a nice mouthpiece) is a rather different animal than the Schilke 51C4.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

FEWeathers wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:15 pm the 12M is totally a V-shaped, funnel-like cup, with no shoulders, heading straight into a smaller, .257" (F) throat, and then out through that big, open backbore. The small shank 51C4 is much closer to a Bach 5GS than it is to the Hammond.
Agreed, but the large bore 51C4 that I have (35yrs old) has significantly steeper sidewalls to the cup than the small bore 12M that I have (15yrs old).

I'd never tried a small bore 51C4, that could be interesting.

Return to “Mouthpieces”