Is Bach mouthpieces still competitive?

Savio

Is Bach mouthpieces still competitive?

Post by Savio »

They have been there for over hundred years. There is many new mouthpiece designs, some are based on that old Bach, some come up with complete new ideas. Bach are inconsistent, very old design but still in the shop. What are your thoughts about it? How did this survive all this years.

Leif
mbtrombone

Re: Is Bach mouthpieces still competitive?

Post by mbtrombone »

I used a Bach 1G for quite a few years. It was a good mouthpiece and great for me to start bass trombone on. I also like a Bach 3G I have for tenor. I think if you find one you like it is a good mouthpiece.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

On some instruments, yes. On others, no. In the large bass mouthpiece world Bach has nothing that competes. Most other makers have something in the same size range that has been developed much more recently than the Bach equivalent.

I love my Mt. Vernon 6.5AL, but I can't deal with how small the rim is, so I use a Doug Elliot. I love my Bach 5GS, but I can't deal with how small the rim is, so I use a Doug Elliot.

For some people, those "standard" Bach sizes are going to be perfect, but I think that group is smaller and smaller as time goes on.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

Some Bach mouthpices are still good designs that remain popular. Any of the C cups for small bore tenor, 12C,11C, 7C, etc. The 6 1/2AL remains one of the most popular mouthpieces ever. The 5GS is popular with large or small shank. many players still play 5G,4G, 3G on tenor and 1/2G or 2G on Bass. some use 1/4G and 1g but not as popular as other brands. What has Bach missed? 6 1/2C, 5C for players use to large rims but want shallow small bore cups. Bach also missed the 4G-5G and 3G-5G thing, with larger rims but cups, throats and back bores more suited for playing tenor parts. Bach could have done a better job on the 1 1/4G and 1G, and they never have offered any wider rims on the bass trombone mouthpieces. They should also make a mouthpiece with the 1G sized rim but a slightly shallower cup and slightly smaller throat for more general playing. To sum up, Bach has done little innovation for a long time, the Artisan series notwithstanding, and doesn't seem interested in doing so, but is coasting on models that have been around a long time, and that's one of the reasons there are so many custom mpc companies.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

A couple of years ago I was recording an audition when I distracted myself by recording different mouthpieces. My Bach 6 and 1/2 sounded just fine. I ended up selling off a bunch of boutique mpcs.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

The mouthpieces designed by Bach himself have amongst them, some all time classics. The mouthpieces made while Bach was in charge were often exceptional. Those mouthpieces are still used around the world, even in a time of great choice.
The American bass trombone world may largely have moved to a different sonic place and chooses bigger equipment but his tenor trombone and trumpet designs have stood the test of time.

Chris
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

I started using a 7C Artisan mid November that I'd bought cheap "as new" on eBay several years ago, and I'm finding it to be a really good m/p for my needs, now that I've got used to the raised rim that is.
I find that it has a "signature" sound, old fashioned some may say, and it slots like crazy, yet it's very flexible at the same time.
It could just be a one off, but that's Vincent Bach for you..
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

I have been using a newish gold-rimmed Bach 5G on my single-trigger bass for some months now. The sound, flexibility and range are terrific. I can't think of using any other brand or size for what I want to do right now. Maybe it's that one-of mouthpiece people like to ascribe to a singular Bach they have found, but the one I'm using beats the pants off anything else I have ever tried on that horn. Who knew...
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

ArbanRubank wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:03 am I have been using a newish gold-rimmed Bach 5G on my single-trigger bass for some months now. The sound, flexibility and range are terrific. I can't think of using any other brand or size for what I want to do right now. Maybe it's that one-of mouthpiece people like to ascribe to a singular Bach they have found, but the one I'm using beats the pants off anything else I have ever tried on that horn. Who knew...
Whuuuuuuuuh???!?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

It's actually a nice combination to play tenor parts on a bass. When I was taking lessons as a returning adult I used a 4G on my King 7B to play my Rochuts. Of course, I went back to a bass mouthpiece when I needed to play the bass parts.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

That's right guys. Don't knock it till you try it and don't try it in a large ensemble setting. I wouldn't advise it. I can get away with it in my music studio playing ballads, Rochuts and so forth. I don't have to peel paint, so I get to play the low trigger and contrabass notes no louder than lovely and still scream up in the high tenor range when I want.

Think of it this way; a bass bore is just a bit larger than a large bore. The huge difference in bore sizes is between small and large.

Anyway, I thought I would put in my 2-cent plug for Bach. Not all Bachs are bad. Some are beautiful.
noordinaryjoe

Post by noordinaryjoe »

ArbanRubank wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:21 am That's right guys. Don't knock it till you try it and don't try it in a large ensemble setting. I wouldn't advise it. I can get away with it in my music studio playing ballads, Rochuts and so forth. I don't have to peel paint, so I get to play the low trigger and contrabass notes no louder than lovely and still scream up in the high tenor range when I want.

Think of it this way; a bass bore is just a bit larger than a large bore. The huge difference in bore sizes is between small and large.

Anyway, I thought I would put in my 2-cent plug for Bach. Not all Bachs are bad. Some are beautiful.
:idea: THIS - I end up stuffing a 6 1/2 AL size mouthpiece (marcinkiewicz) in my bass often for tenor work when I am the only trombone - range, volume flexibility, breadth/depth of sound ...it just sounds like a lot more instrument in the right settings - emphasis on 'the right settings' but I use it to good effect and very much enjoy playing it as my 'super tenor.'
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
Pirate
noordinaryjoe

Post by noordinaryjoe »

To the OP's question - the inconsistencies in Bach sizes are maddening and seem to require quite the snipe hunt in order to find good ones, a game I am not interested in playing. Soooo... I have several generally-Bach-size-based mouthpieces (5G, 6 1/2AL, 12C) but non of them are Bach. Now that I know what works for me, if I need a replacement I'll have less trouble doing so, too.
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
Pirate

Return to “Mouthpieces”