Quick DE question

harrisonreed

Quick DE question

Post by harrisonreed »

Doug, or DE fanatics, I see that the EUPH, SYM, XT, SB, LB , etc etc all have options for 8 and 9 shanks, among others. I know that each shank also needs to have the cup letter designation.

My question is, are the shanks cup specific, rather than series specific? In other words, is a J8 shank compatable with the SB J, XT J, and EUPH J cups and the same shank regardless of what series you order from?

Bonus question: Would there be any reason to try a "9" shank if I don't play a dual bore instrument? I always wish shallow large bore mouthpieces played "louder" (with the exception of the 4CL which has the largest throat and backbore) but I imagine the "9" shank wouldn't be the solution to that? For example, an XT E cup, intended as a solo mp for large bore, wouldn't become louder or more projecting with a 9 vs 8?
BGuttman

Re: Quick DE question

Post by BGuttman »

As far as I know the shanks are not series specific. They are mated to cup depth, so an E cup plus D shank is too long (although not that much in this particular case).

I don't even own a 9 shank so I must duck your second question.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Just email Doug
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Shanks are letter specific, not series. Yes, you can use a G8 shank with a LB G or an LT G cup, for example.

For the 8 or 9, that is a question best for Doug. Walk him through your thought processes and similar equipment you have liked and he'll have a point of view that will be helpful.

Cheers,
Andy
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Correct: Shanks are letter specific, not series. The excepts are most of the "plus" cups work best with the next letter shank - B+ takes a C shank, C+ takes a D shank, D+ takes an E shank. G+ has its own G+ shanks.

As to the 8 vs 9 backbore: 8's are supposed t be best on "most" horns, and 9's are a different design intended for dual bore specifically. I also now have #10 backbores for some of my cups. They are intended for very strong symphonic players who need to put out a lot of sound. I think they work equally well on single and dual bore, for those players who can handle them. I'm continuing to improve all of my mouthpieces, and backbores marked with a star are new designs that have better focus and feel more open. The D8* and E8* are now worth trying if you want a shallow mouthpiece on a large bore horn.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Thanks Doug! So some symphony players might even use, say, a G10 backbore? Or that's the idea anyways?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

That's the idea, but I'd like to spend a little more time on it myself - still experimenting.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Thanks Doug!

The reason why I like to ask questions to Doug here rather than in a private message is that he is an admin here, and now this good info is available to be searched.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 am Thanks Doug!

The reason why I like to ask questions to Doug here rather than in a private message is that he is an admin here, and now this good info is available to be searched.
I think that's a good thing to do. I like it.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Blenky

Post by Blenky »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 am Thanks Doug!

The ability to search and find this kind of info is invaluable to those of us mere mortal trombonists :good:
Conn 88HTCL
Yamaha YSL-640
Rath R900

Doug Elliot XT Silver103, Lexan103, G, G8, G4, EUPH Lexan103, I, I8
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

How about rims and cups? Can a XTK cup fit a MB/LB rim?
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Seabass wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:15 am How about rims and cups? Can a XTK cup fit a MB/LB rim?
The diameter where the cup meets the rim is different between the series. Match an LB rim with an LB cup.

Cheers,
Andy
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Seabass wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:15 am How about rims and cups? Can a XTK cup fit a MB/LB rim?
The rule is that the series has to be the same for the rim and cup, for two reasons - the threads need to be the same (tenor and bass use different threads) and the inside interface diameter (rim to cup) needs to be the same.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

I see! I thought it would be something in that order.
Thanks for the answers!

Return to “Mouthpieces”