New: Dillon "Symphonic" Mouthpieces

jjenkins

New: Dillon "Symphonic" Mouthpieces

Post by jjenkins »

FYI

Dillon "Symphony 2" Large Shank Tenor Trombone Mouthpiece https://reverb.com/item/38293005-dillon ... t=38293005

I came across this tonight; I don't think this has been shared yet on this forum. I have no affiliation to the maker or store -- just posting this as a matter of public interest.
harrisonreed

Re: New: Dillon "Symphonic" Mouthpieces

Post by harrisonreed »

Our new "2" sized rim is comparable to bach 3G and 4G cup widths!

Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Confused by the number 2? It's just a model number, nothing more.

No reason other manufacturers should try to follow the often confusing mouthpiece numbering systems of others (Bach, Schilke, ...)

Ferguson 2 is sort of the size of a Bach 5G

Dillon 2 is apparently sort of the size of a Bach 3G

Olds 3 was sort of the size of a Bach 12C

Josef Klier's system is very straightforward and systematic. Easy to decipher. (And their mouthpieces are quite good.)

Doug Elliott's system is also pretty easy to understand (at least for the Cup I.D.s).

I guess the differences keep us on our toes!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

If you gotta use a standard reference to say what size the number you chose for your new mouthpiece is ... and it's a different number ...

I agree about Doug's system. It makes perfect sense, and while based on an outdated measurement system (imperial), it's the measurement system he uses, and the number tells you what the rim is cut to in that system. Plus his site provides the conversion in mm.

This "2" (and a lot of artist signature mouthpieces from different makers) uses their own made up system which is fine, but then they define it using other established mouthpiece numbering systems. That is just silly.

Return to “Mouthpieces”