Mouthpiece outer shape

dukesboneman

Mouthpiece outer shape

Post by dukesboneman »

I know this might be goofy , maybe it`s lack of performance.
Is there a outer shape of a certain brand(s) that you like?
I have always liked Giardinelli`s and (I don`t say this out loud) Jet Tones
Posaunus

Re: Mouthpiece outer shape

Post by Posaunus »

Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I've never understood the necessity or advantage of the extra mass in the bowl-shaped exteriors of so many mouthpieces (Bach, Schilke, Yamaha, ...). Of course I happily play all of these, but I'm usually just as comfortable with more tapered or streamlined exterior / less massive pieces like Marcinkiewicz / Giardinelli / Denis Wick / Josef Klier.

But what do I know? :idk:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The Lindberg outer shape is the best.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:27 pm Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I've never understood the necessity or advantage of the extra mass in the bowl-shaped exteriors of so many mouthpieces (Bach, Schilke, Yamaha, ...).
That mass can make a pretty massive (pun intended) difference in feedback and response at dynamic extremes. It's not all snake oil, or you'd seem mouthpiece makers using as little brass as they could get away with!

That said, I dig the kind of classic look of a standard weight Greg Black mouthpiece. No nonsense!

It's interesting, I don't put a lot of thought into how mouthpieces look. Now that I have, most of them seem pretty boring or ugly.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:26 pm The Lindberg outer shape is the best.
I agree with Harrison. Lindberg pieces are functional, effective, attractive. No wasted material. But perhaps not "massive" enough for working orchestral pros like BurgerBob. I can't tell, since the only place I play these days is the spare bedroom!

I am attracted to the visual appeal of the Bousfield "S" series mouthpieces. (The "V" series are similar.)
Christan Griego seems to have a good aesthetic sense.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:26 pm The Lindberg outer shape is the best.
I agree with Harrison. Lindberg pieces are functional, effective, attractive. No wasted material. But perhaps not "massive" enough for working orchestral pros like BurgerBob.
Lindberg pieces are pretty heavy, actually. The problem is definitely not with the exterior shape on the Lindbergs!

Heavier does not always mean better, of course.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

They are unusually heavy, considering the outer shape and how large the throat and backbore is. Is probably because the cups are shallow. Maybe the blank is made out of lead.

I really like the look, but the fact that they play in tune and can be played VERY loudly is why I always liked that design. I want all of those design factors, but scaled to a DE 106 rim.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The kick on Lindberg mouthpieces is the very thin rim. If you use a lot of pressure it can really dig in and affect your endurance.

I personally like the "tulip" shapes since I used a Conn Remington since High School (later changed to Denis Wick).

Still, I use any shape that works.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

I like the look of vintage Conn mouthpieces. I also like the look of Bach Megatone and Curry mouthpieces. Traditional bowl shape mouthpieces seem easier to hold, though, with not much chance of one slipping out of one's hand due to the almost slippery taper of a tulip shape. Thin rim mouthpieces look ill-proportioned to me.

I agree that mouthpiece mass is an important component in mouthpiece design, and I think that placement of that mass can affect its playing characteristics.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

Y’all are on the same page with me.

I love looking at (but also playing Lindbergs). Ive put more mileage in my life on 2CLs and 4CLs than anything else. But boy howdy have I fallen in love with Curry mouthpieces in the past year. It occurred to me that even though I was a tuba major, I literally had not purchased a new tuna mouthpiece in my life until this year. I had always been given hand my downs. And - don’t freak out - I used a large shank trombone Bach 3G when I first started doubling on tuba. I think the band director took pity and gave me a Jupiter tuba piece that I would up playing all the way into college and I have to this day.

So when it was time 3-4 months ago to buy my first ever shiny new tuba mouthpiece I got a gold Curry and love it!

Cheers
Last edited by olivegreenink on Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

Odd - the system and/or I somehow did a duplicate post. So I’ll just say I 100.0% agree with the post above :D
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:18 pm The kick on Lindberg mouthpieces is the very thin rim. If you use a lot of pressure it can really dig in and affect your endurance.

I personally like the "tulip" shapes since I used a Conn Remington since High School (later changed to Denis Wick).

Still, I use any shape that works.
Lindberg rims don't bother me much. But I've never tried playing them for more than a rehearsal or practice session (< 2 hours). They definitely don't feel to me like a "cookie cutter."

And though I never got along with the Conn Remington that came with my 88H, I do like the Conn 3 (and perhaps Conn 2) mouthpiece with Conn small-bore tenors such as the 6H, and the Connstellation 3B mouthpiece with a 71H bass trombone, and (I think after a limited trial) the Connstellation small-shank mouthpiece with a 79H - all "original equipment" pieces that work quite well.

These shapes do not seem "tulip-like" to me. A tulip flower is bell-shaped - more like a Bach mouthpiece. The flared Conn mouthpieces are more "trumpet-like" (or at least like a trumpet bell). In the floral category, perhaps they more resemble a morning glory than a tulip.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

They are shaped like the Mercury and gemini space capsule

images (2).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

The shape of the Lindberg got my attention then I got one from another member. It was exactly what I was looking for sound-wise. The rim has never been a problem for me and I find it gives me more flexibility. My granddaughter really doesn't like that so I should be able to keep mine.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:54 pm They are unusually heavy, considering the outer shape and how large the throat and backbore is. Is probably because the cups are shallow. Maybe the blank is made out of lead.

I really like the look, but the fact that they play in tune and can be played VERY loudly is why I always liked that design. I want all of those design factors, but scaled to a DE 106 rim.
Perhaps a depleted uranium option will be forthcoming at some point, as the next move in the instrumental arms race. :amazed:
boneberg

Post by boneberg »

I think the DW Heritage mpcs. look goofy
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

I have a Bach NY 7 that has THE most sexy shape of any mouthpiece I've ever owned!!
20180120_145637.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

I think the brassark mercury blanks are beautiful.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
dershem

Post by dershem »

I still do not understand why so many rag on Jet-Tones.
That said, except for mass (which can make a big difference), the outward shape of a mouthpiece is not a big deal. I've had discussions with Joe Marcinkiewicz, who touted his 'concert hall' series that have elaborate fluting on the outside, and ... the differences are minimal, at best.
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

This thread gave me an idea. I created silhouettes of four mouthpieces. The first three are pretty common, the last one not so much. Can you identify them?

BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Todd, for some reason your image doesn't scan here (for me). I was able to go to it in a different window and I offer my guess:

A - Pretty generic. Looks like my Bach.
B - Doug Elliott
C - Reminds me of a Rudy Muck or a Giardinelli
D - Martin

For those of you who want to try what I did, Quote the post and find the URL inside the URL tags, and open a new browser tab (or window) and put the URL in.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

Bruce writes:

> A - Pretty generic. Looks like my Bach.
> B - Doug Elliott

Yup.

> C - Reminds me of a Rudy Muck or a Giardinelli
> D - Martin

Nope.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tjonz wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:12 pm Bruce writes:

> A - Pretty generic. Looks like my Bach.
> B - Doug Elliott

Yup.

> C - Reminds me of a Rudy Muck or a Giardinelli
> D - Martin

Nope.
C- Kelly

Last edited by Burgerbob on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

Burgerbob writes:

> C- Kelly

Yup.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

D - Olds?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

D - Giddings?
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

Posaunus writes:

> D - Giddings?

Give that man a cigar!
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Doug Elliott, Griego NY blank, Stork heavyweight blank. I wouldn't discount a mouthpiece only by the outer shape, but aforementioned seem to work for me.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tjonz wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:32 pm Posaunus writes:

> D - Giddings?

Give that man a cigar!
I had to give up cigars. How about a nice bottle of wine instead? With bubbles? :shuffle:
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:33 pm They are shaped like the Mercury and gemini space capsule

images (2).png
If I only could get a MP shapes like an Soyuz space craft! :lol:

Jokes aside, I have always thought the Ferguson MPs looks neat, wish I had one. Griego also makes some nice looking pieces!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The Ferguson's are straight up Minick blanks, from the looks of it. Very pretty.

Return to “Mouthpieces”