Does mouthpiece material affect your correct rim size?

MagnumH

Does mouthpiece material affect your correct rim size?

Post by MagnumH »

To quote Doug’s website:
Goldplating (over silverplate) is offered for those who prefer it, but it is much more slippery, and as a result sometimes feels larger than the same size in silver. Lexan (polycarbonate plastic) is a very comfortable but less slippery material that always feels the same temperature, and stays cleaner than a metal finish. It sometimes feels smaller than the same size in metal.
My question: does this mean that the rim size that works best for you could shift by a degree or two in either direction, spending on the material used? For instance, I use a DE N102 rim in silver plate - if I were to choose gold plate would it “work” to shift down to 100 or 101? Likewise, if I choose lexan/delrin should I shift up to 103 or 104?
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
BGuttman

Re: Does mouthpiece material affect your correct rim size?

Post by BGuttman »

I've found that Doug's Lexan rims feel one size smaller. I find no difference between silver and gold.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Going from silver to gold usually works to keep the same size, but I always caution people not to move larger and try gold at the same time.

Some of my earlier Lexan rims felt smaller because they actually were a tiny bit smaller, maybe .001 or .002". Lexan doesn't cut quite like brass. But for current ones, stay with the same size.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

I find lexan to feel smaller on account of increased friction plastics provide on the lips. Silver is better for me because of less friction, as long as the rim surface remains clean. Gold is optimal for me (with the correct sizing) and gives me the comfort and semi-slippery feeling I need to aid flexibility.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

I've gotten 2 identical mouthpieces, one stainless and one titanium. The titanium definitely feels smaller.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

My preference between gold and silver changes with different rim contours, but I don't perceive it as a size difference. I find I prefer Doug's rims in silver. When I played a Laskey I found I needed gold plating.

A good friend and colleague of mine has a severe allergy to brass mouthpieces, no matter the plating. For years he played one of Doug's mouthpieces with a Lexan rim, but the brass farther down the mouthpiece even started to irritate his skin. Now he plays a stainless steel mouthpiece from Giddings, and in order to get the sound he wants he found he needed to go to a larger rim diameter. I don't know if that's a typical adjustment or not, but the stainless mouthpiece sounds better - and by better, I guess I mean more like a brass mouthpiece ;-) - for him than for anybody else I've heard.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

trombonedemon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:29 pm I've gotten 2 identical mouthpieces, one stainless and one titanium. The titanium definitely feels smaller.
I have never found 2 identical mouthpieces, from any maker in any material.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

GabrielRice wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:36 am
trombonedemon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:29 pm I've gotten 2 identical mouthpieces, one stainless and one titanium. The titanium definitely feels smaller.
I have never found 2 identical mouthpieces, from any maker in any material.
Nor have I.

Chris

Return to “Mouthpieces”