Greg Black Heavyweight Mp's

BassboneJ25

Greg Black Heavyweight Mp's

Post by BassboneJ25 »

I just recently got a Greg Black 2g Heavyweight and it looks cool (to me) and plays bigger than a modern Bach 2G (I know all mouthpieces of the same size are not made equal). Has anyone else experienced this or just general thoughts on what you've experienced.

Thanks,

Ben
Last edited by BassboneJ25 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjenkins

Re: Greg Black Heavyweight Mp's

Post by jjenkins »

I've not had good experience with the two heavy tenor mouthpieces I've used in the past, and would personally advise anyone against it as a tenor piece. They're quite heavy. It's a challenge enough for some to produce an interesting sound on the medium blank alone.

But I have zero experience with Greg's heavy weight bass pieces, so please take my experience with a grain of salt. If it works well for you and helps you to produce the sound in your mind consistently, then, that's most of what matters.
Burgerbob

Re: Greg Black Heavyweight Mp's

Post by Burgerbob »

In general, a GB with the same name as a Bach will sound "bigger." Generally they are just... bigger than that size would suggest, which is a big part of it.

I do have to concur about the heavy weight, I don't even really dig the medium weight pieces because they're too heavy for most things, and the heavies are HEAVY.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Mouthpieces”