Mpc question: Reinhardt and Wedge

Bach5G

Mpc question: Reinhardt and Wedge

Post by Bach5G »

The Wedge has been out since 2007. Dr. D says he sold about 3000 last year, so there is a decent sample size and I assume most are at least aware of the theory, design and effects.

How does the Wedge design square with Reinhardt theory, if at all? DE told me I was a 3B/ IIRC. Medium high placement, a bit high and outside, moving diagonally across my chops and down as I moved into the lower register. (I should have written it down).

I was knocked out by a 1 and 1/2G size Wedge at one point, early on, but more recently, when I tried out some tenor Wedges with Dr. D guiding the way, I was a non-responder.
Doug Elliott

Re: Mpc question: Reinhardt and Wedge

Post by Doug Elliott »

You would be a IIIA... but see that's why I virtually never even tell students what type they are, because nobody remembers anyway and it just gets more confusing. I like LESS confusing.

Let's just say I don't agree with Dr Dave's concepts. For some players, I hear them say it "makes them use their corners more" which is what he says is the benefit... but how about just learning to do that?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The wedge looks like a painful rim to play on.

When I saw one for the first time I wondered about a rim design that was flat (like a normal mouthpiece) but more oval or half moon shaped. My thoughts was that generally the corners draw down, so a half moon shape might feel and work better. I imagine that would sound really bad though.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It's definitely not painful... not any more so than a CL mouthpiece :)

I have a bunch on loan at the moment, none of them really grab me though. It feels fine, but then I put in one of my "normal" mouthpieces and those feel fine, too.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:18 pm The wedge looks like a painful rim to play on.
No. NOT painful. Perhaps not for you, but quite comfortable if used correctly. Don't judge if you haven't tried. Keep an open mind.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Well I did try it. Somebody (I don't remember who) sent me one in my size to try. It sure didn't do me any favors.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

I play a Wedge rim on a Doug Elliott cup/shank. It’s not a total life-changer, but for me it’s somewhat more comfortable than a conventional rim. I can produce all the sound and colors I want, articulation and range are not problems. I think Dr. Dave’s claims of improved performance, endurance, etc are perhaps a little exaggerated. I don’t know if it’s the only mouthpiece I’ll ever play again, but it works pretty well for me. It also does not interfere with moving the horn around on my mouth.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

I tried a Wedge, maybe it has it's good points, but putting the mouthpiece on my face and my students faces correctly with consistency is full of enough peril and uncertainly in which I have spent years practicing and teaching to get exactly right; do I now want to add the extra uncertainty of having to make sure the mouthpiece itself turned to precisely the right position in the leadpipe and angle every time I put the horn to my face, lest it totally mess up my form?

Once the correct mouthpiece size and type has been found, the player should not have to give it any more thought while playing than is necessary. Whatever benefits the Wedge may offer, it isn't worth the added element of concern for it's placement. It's simply one more thing to add to worry about, and that's the last thing any player needs.
There isn't anything the Wedge does that can't be done on a normal mouthpiece, and in fact, should be done. If anything, it may actually reinforce some bad habits if it actually is supposedly "encouraging" you to do something you are supposed to be doing already.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I like it - but remember that no mouthpiece is for everybody. IMHO it's worth giving it a shot for someone who has the $$$ to spend on the pricier mouthpieces - along with the many others.

I don't think this mouthpiece is different enough to others to change any approach Reinhardt would take. All the fundamental mechanics are the same.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:14 pm You would be a IIIA... but see that's why I virtually never even tell students what type they are, because nobody remembers anyway and it just gets more confusing. I like LESS confusing.
I think this is just a great way to approach pedagogy for most students.

Return to “Mouthpieces”