Christian Lindberg mouthpieces

pedrombon

Christian Lindberg mouthpieces

Post by pedrombon »

I'm a bit confused about the Christian Lindberg small shank mouthpieces.

I've been checking some store websites and different comparison charts and in some it says that the 10CL is the smallest, in others that the smallest is the 15CL :???:

I'm looking for the one with 25.15mm ID, specifically for alto trombone. Has anyone played/tested them all (13CL included) and has reliable information?

Thanks!
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
Kdanielsen

Re: Christian Lindberg mouthpieces

Post by Kdanielsen »

The 15 and 13 have very similar rims, but the 15 is much shallower. Definitely an alto piece.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

They are all nearly the same rim size. I have no idea why they are all measured as being a different size. Maybe they are, but they also have no distinct inner rim, just a continuous curve.

The 13 and 15 are both for alto.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I just picked up a 13CL. I got it because the rim is listed as 25.9 in one of those lists, and that's the size of my tenor rim. That feels right to me when I compare the two mouthpieces. The Lindberg is a thinner, flatter shape however, so it does have a different feel on the chops, but the inner rim feels like it makes contact with the chops in the same place as my Ultimate Brass 4.1.

I think the comparative list that I checked was from Hickeys - maybe check that list to see which mouthpiece is the size you were looking for. The Lindberg rim is an acquired taste, but the 13CL seems to play pretty well in my alto - maybe a bit more open than my new custom piece from Ultimate Brass, which is my go-to choice right now. I am preferring the rim feel and a slightly "tighter" center that the custom piece has.

Jim Scott
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

Thank you for the inputs!

So, is the 10CL cup deeper than 13 and 15 cups? Is it designed for small/medium bore tenor trombones?
Last edited by pedrombon on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Kdanielsen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:04 am The 15 and 13 have very similar rims, but the 15 is much shallower. Definitely an alto piece.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

Kdanielsen wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:48 am
Kdanielsen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:04 am The 15 and 13 have very similar rims, but the 15 is much shallower. Definitely an alto piece.
Ops, sorry 🙏🏼
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

pedrombon wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:27 am Thank you for the inputs!

So, is the 10CL cup deeper than 13 and 15 cups? Is it designed for small/medium bore tenor trombones?
Yes to both.
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:51 pm
pedrombon wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:27 am Thank you for the inputs!

Yes to both.
Thanks! :good:
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
ethel72

Post by ethel72 »

I recently got a couple CL mouthpieces both for large and small shank, and have found that they have some wobble and don't properly fit in my horns. Has anyone else had this issue before? Was there anything you did to help out with this?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

ethel72 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:27 pm I recently got a couple CL mouthpieces both for large and small shank, and have found that they have some wobble and don't properly fit in my horns. Has anyone else had this issue before? Was there anything you did to help out with this?
Are these older Conn trombones with the "Remington" shank? If so the Lindberg, with its standard large bore shank, will wobble.

Also, my 4CL appears to be just a tad longer than regular large shank mouthpieces. Don't know if that's a factor -- my 4CL fits fine in my large shank receivers.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

It is very hard to find accurate data on CL mouthpieces. As has been mentioned, almost all of the rims feel about the same size. Smaller number is larger mpc (2 for bass trombone), 4 / 5 for large bore tenor, and 10 for small bore tenor.

I got one to experiment with from a member and really loved it. I ended up getting them across my trombones though I use a Bach 1.5 on the bass if I need LOW notes.

I don't have / play alto but if I did I'd give CL a try for it too.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
ethel72

Post by ethel72 »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 pm Are these older Conn trombones with the "Remington" shank? If so the Lindberg, with its standard large bore shank, will wobble.

Also, my 4CL appears to be just a tad longer than regular large shank mouthpieces. Don't know if that's a factor -- my 4CL fits fine in my large shank receivers.
No, I am playing on a Bach 42BO for the large shank, so that shouldn't be the problem. For the small shank, I am playing a Conn 48H. I haven't had trouble with mouthpieces fitting either of these in the past. Usually, they are snug. The CL mouthpieces are the first that seem to be not fitting well.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

I haven't experienced any "wobble" when using my CL mouthpieces in either large bore (Courtois / Yamaha) or small bore (Olds, Getzen, Bach) horns.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4

Return to “Mouthpieces”