NY Bach 7 inner bite

ChadA

NY Bach 7 inner bite

Post by ChadA »

For the last couple days, I've tinkered with a NY Bach 7 in my alto (Yamaha 671-T). I don't play alto much, just on occasional recitals, and I usually use a much wider rim than the 7. I find myself preferring the sound of the 7, but the inner bite feels like a really sharp corner.

Beside the standard "talk to Doug Elliott" answers :), what are some options in that size that may feel more comfortable?
BGuttman

Re: NY Bach 7 inner bite

Post by BGuttman »

Try a Yamaha 47 (or Schilke 47).

I believe there's a Marcinkiewicz about that size as well. It should be a 9, but there is also a very large 9.

You may find you like a Conn 3 (not made any more, but pretty common on Ebay).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Every old Bach is different...sometimes very different. You could try rounding off the inner rim but you might ruin the mouthpiece....or it might be brilliant. I am currently trying to find the right MV /NY 11c for a Bach 16M...half a dozen and they are all different...especially the rims. Small mouthpieces seem to be really hard to judge compared to bass mouthpieces... one day they are all good, the next, none are good...you have to live with each one for a while to understand it...nothing else to do though, so it's fun...of a kind.

Chris
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I have an MV and NY 7, they are totally different (as well as an NY 7C). Like Chris said, there wasn't a whole lot of standardization at the time. Maybe just try another one!

Chris, I have a screw rim NY 11C if you're interested... :)
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Schilke 47B would work better than a Schilke 47. Skip the Yamaha 47 - they are somehow weird to me.

Or try a Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece - way underrated. And much more consistent than Bachs, which are all over the place. I'm a fan.

I think the ET4 Ulyate might work well (supposedly based on Lloyd's "opened throat" Bach 7C), or perhaps an ET3 Loper (based on a Bach 11C?). Or, you could also try a Marc 11 (bigger than a Bach 11C, but with a smaller throat than the ET3). Ignore Marcinkiewicz's catalog specs - he measures his mouthpieces differently than Bach does. Graham Middleton, who works at Marcinkiewicz, could give you advice.

Good luck!
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

My 7C felt sharp just that way, so I migrated to 11C, and it feels much better and have not looked back since. Meanwhile, the chops have become much more mobile and sometimes pout into the piece quite a bit. I'm sure that rim would discourage that kind of motion.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Probably the Shires 11C I have for sale...

It's more like a 6 1/2 rim.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

ChadA wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:24 pm For the last couple days, I've tinkered with a NY Bach 7 in my alto (Yamaha 671-T). I don't play alto much, just on occasional recitals, and I usually use a much wider rim than the 7. I find myself preferring the sound of the 7, but the inner bite feels like a really sharp corner.

Beside the standard "talk to Doug Elliott" answers :), what are some options in that size that may feel more comfortable?
I feel the same about my NY 7. The rim is COMPLETELY different than my Mt. Vernon or Bach Corp. mouthpieces. I'd try those if you haven't already.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Nobbi

Post by Nobbi »

I have a very nice gold plated MV 6 small shank to sell ... super comfortible to play and definitely something for your Alto. I directly compared it with my other mouthpieces ... it's like a JK 7D.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/233908183554

Return to “Mouthpieces”