Schilke 57

JCBone

Schilke 57

Post by JCBone »

Does anybody have any experience with this piece? Would it be suitable for tenor?
BGuttman

Re: Schilke 57

Post by BGuttman »

It's somewhat comparable to a Bach 2G. If you are really into big mouthpieces it might work.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

I waa told that it's like a bach 3.75g
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

I would suggest a chat to Doug Elliott you may find his system beneficial with the issues you are having
Elow

Post by Elow »

A 58 is close to a 1 1/2 size, so definitely closer to the 2G side, maybe even bigger. Brian hecht makes a 1 3/8G work on tenor, but he’s also brian hecht. The brass ark friedman is a really good large mouthpiece, i use it and it’s super efficient, plays like a tenor mouthpiece, but is super comfortable for bass chops
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Specifications:
Schilke 57 - Cup I.D: 26.52mm / 1.044" / Throat: 6.75mm / 0.266"
Bach 2G - Cup I.D: 26.75mm / 1.053" / Throat: 7.01mm / 0.276"
Note that the actual mouthpieces - especially Bach - do not always match their specifications.

There is no Bach 3.75G; if there were it would be much smaller (~26.06mm Cup I.D.)

The Schilke 57 (if you can find one; they're rare) could possibly work for a large tenor if you like large pieces. Too big for me for most of the playing that I do.

Better idea - contact Doug Elliott (after ITF - he's swamped now).
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Back in the early 80's when I was new to my job here, one of my friends/former fellow students was offered a temporary contract with the NY Philharmonic. Gil Cohen, the 2nd player had just retired, and my friend Tom got to play for the last little while of Ed Herman's time there and the first bit of Joe Alessi's time. Tom used an 88H with the old section, and found the best mouthpiece for that situation to be a Schilke 57 cut into a screw-rim, with a 4G rim. I tried it when I was visiting there one time, and was surprised at how well it played. A dark sound, but surprisingly clear and a pretty good high register, although I wouldn't be sure about endurance on it - didn't play it for long. Tom went back to his Bach with Joe, and I think something more like a Wick 4AL. The Schilke did work on an Elkhart Conn with the large receiver. I think it's a bit shallower than a 2G, and maybe not as open through the throat/backbore. It could work for some people and in some situations.

Jim Scott
tmccarle

Post by tmccarle »

Experimented with one for bass trombone recently and along with what others have said, it can work if you play larger pieces even for tenor. As Calgary stated it is a bit shallower and the problem I have ran into is the throat/backbore. It is stuffier than my 5G that I use for tenor playing (I can get lower on it with more power than on the 57) which I find odd. It seems to me that the throat/backbore is a bit mismatched for the size of the piece, but I'm no engineer or machinist. Mines the old school Remington shank and has some mileage on it, but if you're really wanting to test it out I could let mine go for cheap. Just me know. As always, you miles may vary.
btone

Post by btone »

I wouldn't think of it for tenor, personally, and I don't think most people would if they tried it. No more than I would think of a 2G for tenor trombone, unless I was planning to use it to play a low third part that is tenorish at times. And that doesn't sound ideal even. The 58 is the Schilke equivalent of the 1 1/2G. The 2G and the 57 are their respective companies' offerings one step smaller. The 57 is intended for, if not ideal for bass, but probably usable on tenor in atypical situations. I have no doubt that it might be workable for some people but I don't want to encourage the young people out there.to emulate atypical applications unnecessarily.
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

I have an old Schilke 57 and three Bach 2Gs (Mt. Vernon, corp and modern).
The Schilke 57 is a large tenor trombone mouthpiece. Bach 2G is a small bass trombone mouthpiece.
If Bach did 57 it would be called 2.5 GS (IMHO).
btone

Post by btone »

btone

Post by btone »

Schilke made it and markets it as a bass mouthpiece. I assume you looked at their website. A (loose) comparison chart doesn't change that fact. Just like because some people may play a 1 1/2G on euphonium doesn't make it not a bass trombone mouthpiece. I never said it can't be used on large tenor. If it works for you, that's fine.
Last edited by btone on Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

Vincent Bach made 5G as a bass trombone mouthpiece. But times have changed and today 5G is the standard tenor mouthpiece. Nobody plays bass on it. The Schilke 57 has about the same cup depth as the 5G and is therefore not played by professional bass trombonists either. Schilke made it as a mouthpiece for doublers: "This model is an excellent choice for those who play tenor and bass trombone".
For amateurs, this is a good choice
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I have one. It’s great for playing 2nd bone in concert band. Or 3rd if it doesn’t get into the trigger register too much. Then again, I play a 53 for first bone parts.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

It is a small bass trombone mouthpiece. It would work great on a Bach 45 or a King 5B… with that said… it depends on the person… I played with a guy who played principal on a 1G and sounded fantastic. I tend to gravitate to smaller mouthpieces… so it’s really what works for YOU. Just make sure you’re not losing something essential in the upper range or flexibility.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A

Return to “Mouthpieces”