Greg Black Weight

dorutzzu92

Greg Black Weight

Post by dorutzzu92 »

Hello guys, i want to buy a Greg Black 5g mouthpiece but i'm not shure about the weight

Can you please tell me the differences between
Regular or Medium weight?
Burgerbob

Re: Greg Black Weight

Post by Burgerbob »

Regular is usually best, medium is quite heavy.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Tbone00

Post by Tbone00 »

Btw Is there any relationship between weight and endurance?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Tbone00 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:42 pm Btw Is there any relationship between weight and endurance?
Heavy weight mouthpieces (like a Bach Megatone) will reduce endurance. I don't think you will see a major difference in endurance between a Regular or Medium weight Black.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
dorutzzu92

Post by dorutzzu92 »

Btw standard shank, is a large shank?

I don't want to have surprises to be a small shank....
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

dorutzzu92 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:12 pm Btw standard shank, is a large shank?

I don't want to have surprises to be a small shank....
I'd assume so
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Standard shank is for a small bore trombone (12.7 or 13.3 mm). If you have a large bore (13.9 mm) you need a Large shank.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Since I sell them through my website, I have been able to weight most of the models I sell.

It depends a lot on the moutphiece, but generally you can say the difference between regular and medium is about 20grams. Medium - to me - improves slotting a little and warms my sound somewhat and it looks like thats the general trend. But I have also seen players having the opposite effect.

Didn't really notice a difference in endurance.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

With the metatone pieces, I believe some (or perhaps all) of the effect is due to the differences in the internals of the mouthpiece. The throats are typically larger than their "standard" pieces.

I've never noticed much of a difference in weights personally. I've also honestly not done very much to experiment with them because it's expensive to get internally identical mouthpieces with different weights which is realistically the only way to try it. Doug has done a lot of R&D in the last year and adjusted the weights of the larger mouthpieces so there's probably some merit to the idea that there are differences, but I'm not sure how sensitive you nee dto be to actually notice them.
Langheck

Post by Langheck »

I'm fairly certain that Greg Black only varies the weight of the mouthpiece, not the throat and backbore.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Langheck wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:13 pm I'm fairly certain that Greg Black only varies the weight of the mouthpiece, not the throat and backbore.
True. Bach Megatones are noted for having endurance problems Matt was simply pointing out that the Megatones may have endurance problems for reasons other than the weight.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I was usually drawn to the medium weight Black mouthpieces. I did find that the standard weights were better for my alto playing.

Jim Scott

Return to “Mouthpieces”