Bass Trombone Mouthpiece

jazzvuu

Bass Trombone Mouthpiece

Post by jazzvuu »

I recently picked up a bass trombone used (YBL 421G single trigger) and got a Bach 1.5G to play with it. I am curious on getting a smaller (cheap priced) 2G or Yamaha 58L mouthpiece as some days, the 1.5G does not slot well for me (my guess is bigger than I can consistently handle). I am primarily a trumpet player and currently use mainly a 5G on my xeno 882GO tenor. I don't have as much issue for going high (trumpet lips) or low to trigger or pedal register. I do feel tubby and clumsy on the 1.5G.

To the point, what are opinions and reviews of the Bach 2G and/or/vs something like a Yamaha 58. Those are two options I am looking at as they can at times be had for sub $50 or so. Not looking to spend more than that at this moment for a mouthpiece.
Burgerbob

Re: Bass Trombone Mouthpiece

Post by Burgerbob »

Yamaha 58 is pretty solid. Anything you play is going to take some time and effort, though, to feel good. Especially coming from trumpet. I'd give the 1.5G some more time first.
Last edited by Burgerbob on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

I'll second the Yamaha 58L is a good 2G sized piece. Coming from trumpet you might want to consider something smaller, at least for a while. Perhaps a 3G or 4G? They are big enough to sound ok on the bass if you find the 58 still to large.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

That's tricky 😳 situation to be in, I got the opposite problem with not being able to use a trumpet mouthpiece. I would definitely use the smallest "bass" trombone mouthpiece that would fit the instrument and not let brand detour your choice. 6 and 1/2 al would probably do you well for now. Never been able to double very well. Bass bone mouthpieces get huuuuuuge! Soooo good luck!
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

How does it feel with your 5G? It might be an option to use that for a while to get more accustomed to the larger bore of the bass, and then go back to the 1.5G after a while. That way you're only changing one thing at once, rather than having to get used to different horn and different mouthpiece at the same time.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The Yamaha (or a similarly sized Schilke) is a good recommendation. The Bach rims are too wide for me to comfortably use myself.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I might recommend that you at least try a Ferguson V. It doesn't feel as big as the 1.5 and it's more efficient - less effort/more sound. V shaped cup helps. You'll get a better/bigger bass bone sound. The 2g rim can be kind of odd and uncomfortable. The 58 is a safe choice, but if you know someone with Ferguson V, give it a try.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I think you have to make a big commitment to a large mouthpiece. A big commitment of time.

I got switched to bass trombone in my 1st year of college but just used a tenor mouthpiece on an adapter initially.

Then the next summer I went and got the biggest mouthpiece the music store had in stock, a Schilke 60. It took the whole summer to get back to sounding... not-flabby.

It ended well for me, everyone liked my sound, but I wasn't also trying to be a trumpet player. If you are primarily a trumpet player I'm not sure the time it takes to get a large bass trombone mouthpiece going is a good investment for you.

But if you are going to do it... expect there to be time involved.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
jazzvuu

Post by jazzvuu »

Thanks for all the comments.

I am not planning on gigging for a living on trombone (I don't even gig for a living on trumpet really) but just looking to sit in on community groups or school bands/performances. I also make small video collages of different brass ensemble so having the timbre and fullness of tenor and bass trombone really makes quartet arranging more rewarding.
I do not personally think I have too much issues of size of the 5g for tenor trombone. I also think I get an acceptable sound on the 1.5G and 5G respectively (I won't take any gigs from anyone necessarily at the moment but I feel I have decent knowledge of embouchure/brass pedagogy to develop it more with time).

As for the 5G on the bass trombone, with that size, I do find the lower register and pedals to suffer in sound and ease of accessibility (it requires more embouchure adjustment than with a 1.5G).

What I was really looking for in the questions were reviews or feedbacks on the 2G and 58L? I feel I may experience some benefit not from the reduce of width size but over all cup volume to help with overall air efficiencies. Would that happen with a 2G/58L over a 1.5G? I imagine it would be slightly less air needed to make the mouthpiece/horn speak. I don't need symphonic tones as most times I will probably being doing home recordings anyway where that would not be recording setting appropriate. I know the Yamaha has a slightly bigger throat than the Bach 2G but the backbores do have a major effect on air flow and I do not know trombone backbores to know which would be the more narrow or wider backbore.
islander

Post by islander »

I play 2G sized mouthpieces in preference to any other. You will definitely find the 2G to be more focused than a 1.5 and requires slightly less input. Naturally, the offsetting negative is that it's a little harder to access the trigger notes and pedals, but certainly not difficult. Can't tell you anything about the Yamaha piece, but I've owned 3 Bach 2Gs and one of them was quite good, the others less so.

Bill
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

jazzvuu wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:44 pm I recently picked up a bass trombone used (YBL 421G single trigger) and got a Bach 1.5G to play with it. I am curious on getting a smaller (cheap priced) 2G or Yamaha 58L mouthpiece as some days, the 1.5G does not slot well for me (my guess is bigger than I can consistently handle). I am primarily a trumpet player and currently use mainly a 5G on my xeno 882GO tenor. I don't have as much issue for going high (trumpet lips) or low to trigger or pedal register. I do feel tubby and clumsy on the 1.5G.

To the point, what are opinions and reviews of the Bach 2G and/or/vs something like a Yamaha 58. Those are two options I am looking at as they can at times be had for sub $50 or so. Not looking to spend more than that at this moment for a mouthpiece.
There's a Yamaha 58L just listed in the classifieds here for $38 shipped. Can't go wrong.
Slydeguy

Post by Slydeguy »

Another great option may be Greg Black’s 2GP which is a copy of Premru’s modified Bach 2G (Mount Vernon).
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Slydeguy wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:25 am Another great option may be Greg Black’s 2GP which is a copy of Premru’s modified Bach 2G (Mount Vernon).
Bit spender than a 30 dollar Yamaha 58, you'd have to agree.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
jazzvuu

Post by jazzvuu »

I am buying that yamaha 58L to try out. I just got a Yamaha 51C4 that initial impression I like more than the bach 5G on the tenor so hoping I like the Yanaha 58L more than the 1.5G.

Return to “Mouthpieces”