Bass rim/ small cup/ small shank?

NamePlate

Bass rim/ small cup/ small shank?

Post by NamePlate »

I may be asking about something that doesn’t exist but is there a mouthpiece that has a bass sized rim with a shallow cup and a small shank? I switch between tenor and bass when I play frequently and I just loose the focus of my sound when I go between the two but mostly on the bass to tenor switch. Ive been trying to resolve it without getting a new mouthpiece for a while now and haven't felt any significant gains in focus. For context I play on a Bach 1.5G and Benge 6.5AL-S mainly.
LIBrassCo

Re: Bass rim/ small cup/ small shank?

Post by LIBrassCo »

I regularly make things like this for custom orders, yes.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Doug Elliott.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

It can be done, but part of the sound of an instrument is the backbone and cup depth of the mouthpiece (in my experience) so don’t go too extreme with changing both, just enough towards which ever is your preferred horn (bass or tenor).

I use a Chason 6 1/2 rim on a trumpet bore and the cup is super shallow, good enough to fool my middle school students!
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Doug Elliott can make such a mouthpiece for you. He can also offer advice on what combinations are reasonable.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Ordinarily that's all stock stuff for me, there are quite a few options that all play very well.
Right now I don't have much of anything in stock. I'll be catching up soon, I hope.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you play a Yamaha 321 Euph or one of the older Besson Euphs you need a small shank with a larger cup. For that matter, the old Conn 14H bass of 100 years ago used a small shank mouthpiece.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Doug Elliott
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

The switch isn’t extreme, how much practice do you do on both?
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Vegasbound wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:47 pm The switch isn’t extreme, how much practice do you do on both?
Was going to say the same thing. If you're not spending hours at first each day on each instrument you're wasting your time.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I had a Bach 3C small shank. It was hopeless, made the higher partials very flat. I could not use it with the King 3b I had back then. I gave it away.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I use a Doug Elliot with a 3 size rim and small cup, and a Bach 4C in professional settings. I tried the 6.5 thing for a long time, the larger rims made everything easier and better.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

If you want a stopgap solution, Kelly makes a 1.5G-sized bass piece in small shank.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I play these on alto and all varieties of tenor.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Doug Elliott's system is by far the best way to do this in my experience. You might find you need to go a little deeper in the tenor cup than you might think. But depending on the instrument you're playing you might not.
NamePlate

Post by NamePlate »

Okay so I guess the resounding answer is that Doug Elliot may have a good solution for my problem. So I guess this moves to what combination of parts is a good set up because modular mouthpieces are a new concept to me.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

For tenor, use a MB 108 E and E2 shank. (Just a suggestion. A call to Doug can get you close to what you need, if not exactly.)
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I have an Elliott LB114 with an LB D and D3 that plays absurdly well.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

NamePlate wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:31 pm Okay so I guess the resounding answer is that Doug Elliot may have a good solution for my problem. So I guess this moves to what combination of parts is a good set up because modular mouthpieces are a new concept to me.
I do an XT106N with C+ cup and D3 shank on small bore (3B), and an XT106N with A cup and alto A shank on alto.

You can also do the XT G and G8 shank on large tenor.

The rim number will depend on what bass piece you are used to, though you will very likely want to use the narrow "N" profile if you choose the XT series. On bass series (SB,MB, LB, etc) the rim is narrow by default. For me, the 2G size (106N) is the ultimate goldilocks zone for rims. It's the smallest bass or largest tenor rim anyone is likely to use, but it absolutely works for any trombone I use. Sure, if I only played bass, I'd probably go larger, but I don't. Anything smaller on tenor or alto actually reduces my total range, particularly on the high end.

Your idea is pretty common now, and has been gaining traction for a long time now. Griego and Greg Black are also all about making mouthpieces like this.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

WGWTR180 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:34 pm
Was going to say the same thing. If you're not spending hours at first each day on each instrument you're wasting your time.
Not everyone has hours every day to commit to playing on a “standard” mouthpiece size just because. Especially when this solution sounds just as good or better for many players…
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Redthunder wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:09 pm
Not everyone has hours every day to commit to playing on a “standard” mouthpiece size just because. Especially when this solution sounds just as good or better for many players…
Yeah, the "standard sizes" are terrible for me, and I do have hours a day to practice. 100% agree.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I have a Giardinelli 1GM.
It`s a large shank but it has a 1 1/2-ish rim with a Very shallow cup
A guy I knew years ago had a 1 1/2G rim with a 6 1/2AL cup for his 78H
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

NamePlate wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:31 pm Okay so I guess the resounding answer is that Doug Elliot may have a good solution for my problem. So I guess this moves to what combination of parts is a good set up because modular mouthpieces are a new concept to me.
Talk to Doug
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

True so let's just jump right to a custom mouthpiece. Why not.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

In fact, this is what a specialized mouthpiece can help. It’d take me forever to warm up on all the horns. Same rim cuts that transition time way way down (to zero in some cases).
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Kdanielsen wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:31 am

In fact, this is what a specialized mouthpiece can help. It’d take me forever to warm up on all the horns. Same rim cuts that transition time way way down (to zero in some cases).
Agreed but a personal choice for sure.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Doug provides a free on line consult, watches you play a little, and can advise on parts. Generous returns policy too. I did my session with him using an iPhone - I’m in England.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Doug is the man for this. It can not hurt to talk to him. He does not push his products at all. He doesn’t have to. The ability to fine tune your setup without buying a bunch of mouthpieces is great.
Steve
NamePlate

Post by NamePlate »

I guess I will be calling Doug when I get the chance to after college dies down a little bit

Return to “Mouthpieces”