Funnel shaped piece for old 78H…Stork NYC5?

calcbone

Funnel shaped piece for old 78H…Stork NYC5?

Post by calcbone »

I’m looking for something perhaps a little bigger than a 6 1/2 to suit a vintage (1929) 78H. I understand that it likes something more funnel-shaped…and my Stork T1 isn’t a bad match for it. I would just like to find something slightly bigger. The T1 is supposed to be comparable in size to a 6 1/2 (but funnel-shaped and feels a little bit smaller) and it’s what I use with my 3B for big band. I use 3G-sized pieces on my large bore setup, so something in between would be ideal.

Stork NYC5 comes in small shank and is supposed to be a 5G relative but “more V-shaped” according to their site. Any of you guys have experience with it, before I order one sight-unseen? Or have one that you would like to part with? Or have another suggestion that can be obtained fairly easily?

Thanks!!
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
BGuttman

Re: Funnel shaped piece for old 78H…Stork NYC5?

Post by BGuttman »

See if you can find a small shank Remington mouthpiece. They used to come with the Connstellation horns. They are more funnel shaped and a bit larger than a 6.5. I find mine to be a great fit to my 40H.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:44 am See if you can find a small shank Remington mouthpiece. They used to come with the Connstellation horns. They are more funnel shaped and a bit larger than a 6.5. I find mine to be a great fit to my 40H.
Thanks. I will definitely try one out…if I can find one :)
=Tommy=

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

You might want to check out a Marcinkiewicz 7G (small shank) --- it has a funnel-shaped cup, a cup diameter that is roughly that of a 5G, and a throat the same as your Stork T1 (.261") that is well balanced (IMO) with the cup and backbore). Warburton two-piece mouthpieces have funnel cups as well (https://warburton-usa.com/collections/t ... ard-models). Dillon Music has a few used Warburton tops and underparts with cup depths and diameters that might suit your needs. They are great pieces as well.

Also, if you decide you want to try the NYC5, the Storks offer a generous 21-day trial (as long as the item isn't gold-plated or customized).
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

jjenkins wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:14 pm You might want to check out a Marcinkiewicz 7G (small shank) --- it has a funnel-shaped cup, a cup diameter that is roughly that of a 5G, and a throat the same as your Stork T1 (.261") that is well balanced (IMO) with the cup and backbore). Warburton two-piece mouthpieces have funnel cups as well (https://warburton-usa.com/collections/t ... ard-models). Dillon Music has a few used Warburton tops and underparts with cup depths and diameters that might suit your needs. They are great pieces as well.

Also, if you decide you want to try the NYC5, the Storks offer a generous 21-day trial (as long as the item isn't gold-plated or customized).
Thanks, I’ll look into these. I always assumed Marcinkiewicz numbers were similar to Bach, but I guess I was wrong!
=Tommy=

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

You're not the only one! But no, their numbers are derived by measuring a different part of the rim than Bach/Schilke, hence the vast difference.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:44 am See if you can find a small shank Remington mouthpiece. They used to come with the Connstellation horns. They are more funnel shaped and a bit larger than a 6.5. I find mine to be a great fit to my 40H.
I was going to suggest that!
It's an appropriate size and shape for that horn, and works very well.
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

Calcbone: I dug up a Conn 3 (V-cup, good alternative to a Bach 6.5AL) that I could send you to see if you like it. Much of the plating is worn, but it's still very much usable, especially as a reference mouthpiece. PM a good address and I'll get it out to you on Monday if you'd like, no charge. If you decide you don't like it, just send it back.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

You know…I might actually have one of those hiding in an Olds Ambassador case now that I think of it… I’ll look later tonight. If not, I’ll send you a PM. Thanks for the offer!
=Tommy=

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I have a Connstellation "Remington" that was (I think) the piece originally supplied with my Conn 79H trombone (0.522" bore). I never got along with the large-shank Remington that came with my 1972 Conn 88H, but the small-shank version seems to work pretty well, so it might be compatible with your similar-size 78H.
V-shaped Cup I.D. ~25.55mm (a touch smaller than my large-shank Remington), but same throat (6.15mm).

The Remington Connstellation appears to be nearly the same mouthpiece as a Conn Connstellation 5C-N that I stumbled across, though the cup seems to be a bit shallower. If you can get either one, you may be pleased. :idk:

And, as already pointed out, do not compare Marcinckiewicz mouthpiece specs with Bach specs. They are different animals. I may be an outlier, but I generally prefer Marc pieces to Bachs. They are nicely made, lightweight, and play well!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I like the Marcinkiewicz pieces too. Love my bass models. Use the Contra models on my Eb tuba. But I can't figure out which tenor models work as replacements for Bach/Wick 4 sizes.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

jjenkins wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:00 pm Calcbone: I dug up a Conn 3 (V-cup, good alternative to a Bach 6.5AL) that I could send you to see if you like it. Much of the plating is worn, but it's still very much usable, especially as a reference mouthpiece. PM a good address and I'll get it out to you on Monday if you'd like, no charge. If you decide you don't like it, just send it back.
I did actually have one, like I mentioned, hiding out in the case with an Ambassador. Hadn’t thought about it in a while. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll also look into some of the other options mentioned in this thread.
=Tommy=

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The Conn 3 is rather different than the Connstellation "Remington."
Cup I.D ~ 25.35mm / 0.998"; throat 6.35mm / 0.250", less V-shape than Connstellation but more V-shape than smaller-I.D. / larger-throat Conn 2.
It might just work well with your 78H. :idk:
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:28 pm The Conn 3 is rather different than the Connstellation "Remington."
Cup I.D ~ 25.35mm / 0.998"; throat 6.35mm / 0.250", less V-shape than Connstellation but more V-shape than smaller-I.D. / larger-throat Conn 2.
It might just work well with your 78H. :idk:
That’s good to know. The 3 does seem to “agree” with the horn pretty well, now that I’ve had a chance to try it out. But, my chops definitely want something a little larger. I’ll keep an eye out for a small shank version of a Remington/Constellation. Perhaps I’ll post a “WTB.”
=Tommy=

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

Baltimore Brass has several small shank Remington/Connstellation pieces going for $10.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

jjenkins wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:49 pm Baltimore Brass has several small shank Remington/Connstellation pieces going for $10.
Awesome, thanks for the tip!
=Tommy=

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

jjenkins wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:49 pm Baltimore Brass has several small shank Remington/Connstellation pieces going for $10.
Apparently they sold fast. All they have now are large-shank Remingtons (also $10). :weep:
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

Posaunus wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:27 pm
Apparently they sold fast. All they have now are large-shank Remingtons (also $10). :weep:
I think I got the last of the small shank ones!
=Tommy=

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
Monkhouse

Post by Monkhouse »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:49 pm I like the Marcinkiewicz pieces too. Love my bass models. Use the Contra models on my Eb tuba. But I can't figure out which tenor models work as replacements for Bach/Wick 4 sizes.
You can reach out to them. Graham Middleton has helped me in the past. [email protected]
I thought they were in the process of standardizing their model naming convention, but could be wrong. They're also in the process of reproducing some of the Vintage King Mouthpiece models (M31, M21), which may be a good option for OP.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

To all who suggested the small shank Remington… especially jjenkins for the tip that Baltimore Brass had one in stock… THANK YOU!

It came in the mail today, and it really is a great pairing with the 78H. I got the horn hoping for something that I could play in a chamber group, or lyrical solos like Meditation from Thaïs… or perhaps the odd church gig once those come back (my regular one still hasn’t). Or various uses in my multitrack quartet videos :lol:

It really fits the bill now! :)
=Tommy=

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide

Return to “Mouthpieces”