Shires Vintage series specs

robinsjanis

Shires Vintage series specs

Post by robinsjanis »

Hello,
I bought three Shires Vintage series mouthpieces. The price was just too good for new mouthpieces.
The sizes are:
1 1/2 g
3 g
5 g

I played on ordinary Shires 5G so I wanted to know how these compare to other mouthpieces. I can’t seem to find anything on Shires website.
WGWTR180

Re: Shires Vintage series specs

Post by WGWTR180 »

Do you mean how do the specs compare?
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

The old Shires Vintage series, which is no longer made to my knowledge, was copied from particularly good examples of old Bach mouthpieces (mostly but not all Mt. Vernon) and cut in blanks with a bit more weight to them than Bach.

The 1-1/2 G is a bit bigger than a modern Bach 1-1/2, with a very different shape rim.
I think the 5G is a pretty straight ahead 5G, comparable to many modern ones.
I think the 3G is a fairly compact example of that size.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

I used to play the Shires Vintage 4G for awhile. It reminded me of a cross between a good vintage Bach mouthpiece with a little bit of the cup depth and feel of a Shilke 51D thrown in. Loved that piece for a long time
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Boneuphtoner

Post by Boneuphtoner »

I briefly tried a newer Shires 3G - I’ve read here and on Doug’s charts that older 3Gs are closer to modern 4Gs - and if this Shires was based off an old Mount Vernon 3G, it makes sense why this Shires 3G felt very tight for my chops. Very nice well made piece, but it felt much too small for my playing - and Doug’s 104 rims are my sweet spot in rim size. I’ve played modern 3Gs that didn’t play that well for me but the rim wasn’t too small with those.

Return to “Mouthpieces”