JK alto mouthpieces

Jose999

JK alto mouthpieces

Post by Jose999 »

Has anyone tried Josef Klier mouthpieces in alto trombone? they have the line F and G for alto trombone that you can combine with big rim sizes but IDK if intonation will be afected with larger rim sizes.
harrisonreed

Re: JK alto mouthpieces

Post by harrisonreed »

The rim size by itself will not really affect intonation by itself, but everything else about a mouthpiece will. Since the cup is an extension of the rim, it is affected by the rim ID, but that doesn't mean the design can't compensate for it, usually in the cup depth. Jim Nova uses a 3G rim on his alto piece, for example, to great effect.

No experience with JK pieces myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

i have a 4 F (26,50 mm) also a 6 G (25,75 mm with a smaller 10,6 mm shank for alto receiver)
Both great alto pieces.I can't find any negative changes in intonation, despite the large diameter
Jose999

Post by Jose999 »

heinzgries wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:59 pm i have a 4 F (26,50 mm) also a 6 G (25,75 mm with a smaller 10,6 mm shank for alto receiver)
Both great alto pieces.I can't find any negative changes in intonation, despite the large diameter
I'm looking for something similar to a 12c/11c but with a bigger rim so which one do you think is closer in depth?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Josef Klier mouthpieces in general: :good:
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

I have a JK 7E, 7D, 8E and a 8D. The 8 size rim feels like it's in the tighter VB "6" size, but as I have't seen a 11C in a decade I can't compare depth wise. But bear in mind that the cup depth defines the throat size, and the F cup could be quite tight. I play on a very small bore horn and switch between the mainly 8E and D just to keep things fresh. The 7's are just a bit too wide for me, teeth wise, but could be nice on medium bore horn.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I played one on alto for a while about two years ago.
I cannot look it up right now, but I think it was an 8F (maybe 8G, 9F or 9G).

As already stated multiple times, Klier mouthpieces are great quality and especially great value for the money.
In the end they enable almost any imaginable combination of rim diameter and cup depth.
And keep in mind that for a relatively low extra price they are usually happy to do further changes on bore, rim shape etc.

On this specific mouthpiece that I had:
In the end I didn't perfectly get along with it.
I think it was relatively long and didn't go very far into the leadpipe which is something I tend to dislike.
It can have a negative effect on response and/or intonation.

In general I am not a fan of playing very large rims with shallow cups on alto (or playing very small rims with deep cups on bass). To me this does not work properly and limits the overall result I can achieve. But that's really different for everyone.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

Jose999 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:15 pm I'm looking for something similar to a 12c/11c but with a bigger rim so which one do you think is closer in depth?
it is not easy to compare the Bach with the JK. Cause the Bach cup is more like a V and the JK cup more like
an U. But i would say the deep of the Bach C cup is between the JK F and G cup
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

MStarke wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:36 am I think it was relatively long and didn't go very far into the leadpipe which is something I tend to dislike.
you can get the JK with a smaller shank as a special order that fits an alto receiver.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

heinzgries wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:54 am
MStarke wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:36 am I think it was relatively long and didn't go very far into the leadpipe which is something I tend to dislike.
you can get the JK with a smaller shank as a special order that fits an alto receiver.
Good to know!
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h

Return to “Mouthpieces”