Alessi new mouthpiece?

solidshi8

Alessi new mouthpiece?

Post by solidshi8 »

It looks like a Greg black….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Re: Alessi new mouthpiece?

Post by Burgerbob »

Kind of looks like a Shires blank... hard to tell though.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jameseuph642

Post by Jameseuph642 »

Pickett makes the Shires mouthpieces so it could be a Pickett/Alessi collaboration.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Not really surprising. I'm sure the Marketing and AR people at Shires have been trying to get him away from Griego for a while now.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Who cares about the mouthpiece -- the product he is advertising seems to be the most ingenious counterweight ever invented. (The JoyBrass "Trombilizer")

https://www.joybrass.com/smartphone/det ... der&page=1

Way too expensive though. Kind of interesting that he moved away from a horn with a (very) configurable counterweight to a horn without one, didn't use the harmonic bridge but now is adding the Trombilizer -- wonder if that is about the same mass as the bridge?
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:49 pm Who cares about the mouthpiece -- the product he is advertising seems to be the most ingenious counterweight ever invented. (The JoyBrass "Trombilizer")

Way too expensive though. Kind of interesting that he moved away from a horn with a (very) configurable counterweight to a horn without one, didn't use the harmonic bridge but now is adding the Trombilizer -- wonder if that is about the same mass as the bridge?
I couldn't find an English translation link - what is the price of the counterweight(s) and did anyone see any info on N. American shops carrying them? Looks interesting.

As far as the mouthpiece, he could just be trying something out - don't we all do that?

Jim Scott
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Probably didn’t bring his mpc to the photo shoot.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:22 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:49 pm Who cares about the mouthpiece -- the product he is advertising seems to be the most ingenious counterweight ever invented. (The JoyBrass "Trombilizer")

I couldn't find an English translation link - what is the price of the counterweight(s) and did anyone see any info on N. American shops carrying them? Looks interesting.

As far as the mouthpiece, he could just be trying something out - don't we all do that?

Jim Scott
It's about $210
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Yikes!
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Considering he's just done a Masterclass sponsored by Shires and Greg Black, I#d say it was a Greg Black :idea:
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:01 pmYikes!
BUT IT STICKS ON WITH MAGNETS :horror:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It's a genuinely good idea. Just overpriced. The one that I was scratching my head over was the magic dice.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:55 pm It's a genuinely good idea. Just overpriced. The one that I was scratching my head over was the magic dice.
Exactly! I cannot believe people would buy those dice.

A couple of years ago, a student asked me if he should buy the Alessi Scale Dice. I asked him...."What are your worst scales?" He said...."A Major and B Major." I told him, "Play both of those scales 10 times a day until they become your best scales. Don't buy the dice and I just saved you $20!"
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:25 pmExactly! I cannot believe people would buy those dice.

A couple of years ago, a student asked me if he should buy the Alessi Scale Dice. I asked him...."What are your worst scales?" He said...."A Major and B Major." I told him, "Play both of those scales 10 times a day until they become your best scales. Don't buy the dice and I just saved you $20!"
Merchandising!! Where the REAL money from the movie is made!!

I honestly cannot believe those dice exist, and that people would actually buy them.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

You can buy a 12 sided die for pennies, you may just have to remember what number you associate to which scale. The randomized approach is great, but I can't figure out why I would pay that price for that.

Cheers,
Andy
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

I just noticed the alessi line is now called “artist”…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Well...I just saw that Greg Black's North Carolina shop is now a Shires dealer.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

GabrielRice wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:30 am Well...I just saw that Greg Black's North Carolina shop is now a Shires dealer.
Saw that too. Time for some fun theories on what will be the next step?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
MIAbone

Post by MIAbone »

Carlo wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:07 am I just noticed the alessi line is now called “artist”…
I just saw a post of Christian addressing the change.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Definitely an interesting development. I mean, he was with Greg Black before, but going back to a smaller shop like that seems odd.

Unless Shires wants to get back into mouthpiece making and wants black to design them, or wants to license some of his designs for Alessi Mouthpieces.
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

GabrielRice wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:30 am Well...I just saw that Greg Black's North Carolina shop is now a Shires dealer.
Really doubt those two are linked. Would be wild if so.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:13 pm
Really doubt those two are linked. Would be wild if so.
Not necessarily linked of course. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if Joe is going back to Greg Black mouthpieces, particularly now that Greg's operation is a little bigger.

Whatever...most of this thread is speculation...which can be fun but has little meaning.
Bolter

Post by Bolter »

Don’t Eastman own Laskey now?
Could that be a possibility?

Rich
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Bolter wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:06 pm Don’t Eastman own Laskey now?
Could that be a possibility?

Rich
They own the company Backun Musical Services, which owns Laskey, and is currently working on recreating the Laskey Line. They still have a lot of testing and such to go, and I don't know if they really have a designer / customizer working there.
Jameseuph642

Post by Jameseuph642 »

It is Laskey per Alessi’s Instagram.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Greg doing design work/consultancy for the new Eastman/Backun/Laskeys/Blacks Alessi mpcs?

Will we have an “Alaska” 1C? An “Alblaskey”?
Indiebass1993

Post by Indiebass1993 »

Yet another reason to look forward to Laskey trombone mouthpieces. Hopefully sales will open up early summer and not late summer.
Elow

Post by Elow »

I imagine Marshall Gilkes is releasing a line through laskey as well.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Just posted on FB.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Did Joe play Euph or Bass trombone?
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

He did both while he was 2nd in Philly. There are some recent videos of him playing Bass - a new Shires. Also, he recorded the Mahler 7th on Euphonium - he played it more recently on a British-style Baritone, and he has played some Bass Trumpet w/th NY Phil. on some Ring programs.

Jim Scott
Indiebass1993

Post by Indiebass1993 »

I'd be really curious to see the specs on the bass pieces.

Return to “Mouthpieces”