Austin Custom Brass Mouthpieces

ACBEric

Austin Custom Brass Mouthpieces

Post by ACBEric »

This is more of a PSA than a question. Ok, maybe a little bit of self-promotion too. Austin Custom Brass (which is one of the premiere trumpet spots online/in person) has stuff for low brass too - including a line of custom mouthpieces. I have had the pleasure of playing them a lot lately and really enjoy them. I have played the ACB 5.1 (kind of my go to of choice now for tenor) a lot. I have been using a ACB 2 for bass trombone this past week (prepping for an Easter gig). I have also played some of the smaller sizes when testing out horns and enjoyed them. The thing I have found most rewarding is the comfort, response, and the integrity of tone produced. These are some of the best balanced mouthpieces I have played. But I know that a lot of low brass folks don't know that ACB even does trombone stuff. Has anyone else tried these mouthpieces and have thoughts on how they compare to what else is on the market?
Molefsky

Re: Austin Custom Brass Mouthpieces

Post by Molefsky »

Bringing this back to the top because I think they're worth taking a look at.
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
Arkansas Musicworks Brass Band
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would definitely be interested to hear what people have thought about the rim shape and the feel of the ACB 4.

Are there any specs on the throat sizes?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I use an ACB mouthpiece as my primary mouthpiece on trumpet. I have a Hammond and a Michael Brand as well and the ACB performs the best overall (though the Hammond is very close...if it were a larger diameter it might beat out the ACB, but I'd have to order that custom). Very comfortable, easy-playing mouthpiece.
ACBEric

Post by ACBEric »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:59 am I would definitely be interested to hear what people have thought about the rim shape and the feel of the ACB 4.

I like the feel of the ACB rims. They are very comfortable and I do not have to work too hard when playing on it. I like the ACB mouthpieces for classical playing. Some people have been playing them for jazz and really like them (that would be like the 6s or even the 7s). My personal experience is that I get a well rounded sound that is easy to produce and maintain as I play.

I played Denis Wick for a long time and enjoyed them because of the comfort. I find ACB to be just as comfortable, if not more, but to have a little more clarity and projection and easier flexibility. I have had several of my private students shift from Bach to ACB and it has made immediate positive impact both in terms of their sound and their ability to play (read practice) longer without getting as tired. I went through a Monette phase and then I was out of my Monette phase. I prefer the ACB mouthpieces. I have also played on AR Resonance (which I do think very highly of and still personally use that for jazz playing). Hopefully that helps. I work at ACB - just wanted to be transparent about that - with any of our silver plated trombone mouthpieces you do get a 14 day trial period, from the time you receive it, should you not like it you can return the mouthpiece.
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

Anyone try the small shank 6S and 6.1s?
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

I got in on the ground floor with trombone mouthpieces with Trent at ACB. I loaned him a bunch of the mouthpieces that were siting on my shelf for him to get started with specs. I play an ACB "ROBINS" - pre-production based on a Bach 6.75C. I can't remember what his new numbering system puts that at. I love it for everything jazz and commercial. I also play an ACB4 (old numbering), on my Bach42 that fits it VERY well.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

ACBEric wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:14 pm
tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:59 am I would definitely be interested to hear what people have thought about the rim shape and the feel of the ACB 4.

I like the feel of the ACB rims. They are very comfortable and I do not have to work too hard when playing on it. I like the ACB mouthpieces for classical playing. Some people have been playing them for jazz and really like them (that would be like the 6s or even the 7s). My personal experience is that I get a well rounded sound that is easy to produce and maintain as I play.

I played Denis Wick for a long time and enjoyed them because of the comfort. I find ACB to be just as comfortable, if not more, but to have a little more clarity and projection and easier flexibility. I have had several of my private students shift from Bach to ACB and it has made immediate positive impact both in terms of their sound and their ability to play (read practice) longer without getting as tired. I went through a Monette phase and then I was out of my Monette phase. I prefer the ACB mouthpieces. I have also played on AR Resonance (which I do think very highly of and still personally use that for jazz playing). Hopefully that helps. I work at ACB - just wanted to be transparent about that - with any of our silver plated trombone mouthpieces you do get a 14 day trial period, from the time you receive it, should you not like it you can return the mouthpiece.
If someone didn’t like Denis Wick rims, would they still like ACB mouthpieces? Asking for a friend…
ACBEric

Post by ACBEric »

It is hard for me to answer that question with 100% certainty because it is not my face. However, I do believe so. I find the ACB to offer good flexibility. It feels different than Wick. The rim feels like it has a little more life than some of the standard Wick which sometimes felt a little wide or flat against the face like I was pressed up against it and not connecting with it (hopefully that makes sense). I did prefer the Heritage series to the standard Wicks. However, ACB does offer a 14 day window to try the mouthpiece (from the time a person receives it).
ACBEric

Post by ACBEric »

Aznguyy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:23 pm Anyone try the small shank 6S and 6.1s?
I have played on both and they are nice. The 6s is a good .500 or .508 piece. I like the 6 for younger students. I believe that Brian Scarbourough (jazz trombonist) has been playing on a 6s and seems to really like it (at least last time we spoke a month ago)
ACBEric

Post by ACBEric »

Nhtrombone wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:08 am I got in on the ground floor with trombone mouthpieces with Trent at ACB. I loaned him a bunch of the mouthpieces that were siting on my shelf for him to get started with specs. I play an ACB "ROBINS" - pre-production based on a Bach 6.75C. I can't remember what his new numbering system puts that at. I love it for everything jazz and commercial. I also play an ACB4 (old numbering), on my Bach42 that fits it VERY well.
6.1 would be that size
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

ACBEric wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:14 pm
Aznguyy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:23 pm Anyone try the small shank 6S and 6.1s?
I have played on both and they are nice. The 6s is a good .500 or .508 piece. I like the 6 for younger students. I believe that Brian Scarbourough (jazz trombonist) has been playing on a 6s and seems to really like it (at least last time we spoke a month ago)
How do it compare to say to your typical Bach 6.5AL? rim and cup?

thanks!
ACBEric

Post by ACBEric »

You know, I had to laugh (not because of the question but because my answer made me feel "old"). I realized it has been a while since I did any serious playing with a Bach 6 1/2. But, I have picked one up now and then with a horn and I never hate playing the Back 6 1/2 but I never love it either. I feel like it always just feels "fine". There is not bad about a Bach 6 1/2. I have not really played on one for any extended period of time since the 1990s. So, I do not think that I can fairly compare them. Somewhere in my head I got it that I liked other pieces better than Bach and I have never really gone back to Bach to reassess that opinion.

I like how the ACB feels because it is comfortable, easy to blow, the air feels focused through the mouthpiece, and I can get a nice sweet sound with it. I am never aware of what mouthpiece I am playing when I put an ACB 6 on my horn. By that I mean that no part of the mouthpiece hinders or interferes with what I can (or cannot) play. I especially enjoy how the 6th partial and above sounds and feels. It does not feel stuffy, I feel like I have a sense of how my chops feel connected to the mouthpiece, and all while retaining an nice full tone. Sometimes I feel like some mouthpieces get brittle or bright up there. The ACB continues to produce a full sound that has a nice core to it in all registers. This is part of the reason I have encouraged some of my students to move to it (and we do not get commission at ACB for mouthpiece sales nor would I ever move a student to a mouthpiece for a few bucks in my pocket. I always let them try it out first to see how they like it and they all choose to make the move.)

Hopefully that (kind of) answers your question.

Return to “Mouthpieces”