1/2G on tenor trombone in a pinch?

Cookie0329

1/2G on tenor trombone in a pinch?

Post by Cookie0329 »

Hi! This is my first post so sorry if I miss some stuff about the chat. Right now my bass trombone needs some repairs, the brace/handle on the main slide is desoldered at one of the points, so I don't wanna push it and risk further damage. Until that's fixed however, my current solution is to use a Bach 1/2 G (same mouthpiece I use on my bass) in my .547 bore tenor with the attachment pulled to E. for reference, this is a very bass trombone heavy part, goes down to a pedal g, and needs a low b natural. This works for now, but it's a little awkward, does anyone have a better solution or some personal experience they could offer? Thank you!
BGuttman

Re: 1/2G on tenor trombone in a pinch?

Post by BGuttman »

Short of borrowing another bass trombone, I don't think you have any alternative. Back in the Bad Old Days before the double valve was common, most of us would pull the attachment tuning slide to E when there was a low B natural. Sometimes you would mark a part where you need to do the pull (during a rest before the low B) and where to put it back to F for convenience.

There is a falset tone in T2 that is a low B natural. If you can play it convincingly you might be able to get away with it -- as long as the note is not loud or long; and you can make the falset tone. Not an option if you have no idea what I'm talking about. There are a number of names for this note: False Tone, Factitious Tone, and probably a few others.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

On a 0.547" bore tenor, I think a ½G mouthpiece is a mismatch, even for bass-heavy repertoire. Depends on your face, but you might be better off, and get a more balanced sound, with something more in the 1½G (or even 2G) range.

Good luck with the low b naturals! (Some tenor trombones are really too short to play these well.)
And urge your tech to complete those repairs soon.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:24 pm On a 0.547" bore tenor, I think a ½G mouthpiece is a mismatch, even for bass-heavy repertoire. Depends on your face, but you might be better off, and get a more balanced sound, with something more in the 1½G (or even 2G) range.

Good luck with the low b naturals! (Some tenor trombones are really too short to play these well.)
And urge your tech to complete those repairs soon.
OP meant a 1 1/2G.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

1 1/2G on tenor is not that far out. I occasionally play a Ferguson V on 88h for low tenor parts down to C. You could pull the F attachment and get B, but it's weird if you have to play with the slide pulled for any length of time. Generally, if I have a part that doesn't require 2 triggers, I try to play it on an 88h. An 88h with a SL6262 or SL4762 slide is even better. If you have access to a larger slide that fits your tenor, that's something that will get you part way there.

You have to be careful, though. A 547 on bass parts can sound like a rip saw if you push it too hard. It might take some practice to know where the limit is on your horn, and how to play up to but within those limits.
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

Are the slides on your bass and tenor compatible (e.g. Bach 42 / Bach 50)? It won't be ideal, but if the bass bell will mount to the tenor slide then you've at least got the advantage of a larger bell and the second valve.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Just noticed the OP's "stable":
Trombones:
Yamaha YSL-354 (beater)
Jupiter CEB-740 Capital Edition [large-bore F-attachment]
Holton 180 (F/Eb)
Mouthpieces:
Denis Wick 4AL
Vincent Bach 7C (Small Shank)
Bach 1/2G {Apparently he means 1½G}