Remington Shank on new 8H Leadpipe?

RMCarson

Remington Shank on new 8H Leadpipe?

Post by RMCarson »

My tech is replacing my leadpipe/venturi on my Elkhart 8H with a new Conn 8H lead pipe. I use the Remington shank mouthpiece. Will I need to get a new standard large shank mouthpiece, or will my Remington shank still work?
Doug Elliott

Re: Remington Shank on new 8H Leadpipe?

Post by Doug Elliott »

Nearly all leadpipes you can buy have standard receivers, not the old Conn taper.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

You need the Conn "R" pipe
Monkhouse

Post by Monkhouse »

RMCarson wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:14 pm My tech is replacing my leadpipe/venturi on my Elkhart 8H with a new Conn 8H lead pipe. I use the Remington shank mouthpiece. Will I need to get a new standard large shank mouthpiece, or will my Remington shank still work?
What was wrong with the old pipe, and why are you having it removed? If possible, it might be best to have removable leadpipes fitted so you can try out different mouthpiece and leadpipe combinations. There are limited Remington shank options, and finding the right fit can be costly. With the standard receiver I'd probably start with whatever you're using now (unless it's the "Remington" mouthpiece) in standard morse taper.

I'm considering having similar work done on my 88H. I've found the remington shank marcinkiewicz piece I bought is a little lacking in the low range, and my long shank schilke works better sound wise; however, I don't like the rim on the Schilke. Mine has a couple dings that I might be sensitive to. I'll probably get my schilke refurbished and replated first (new long shanks are special order and $$$ compared to refurbish), and see how it goes from there.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Personally, if I had an Elkie that needed a new leadpipe, my only choice would be a replacement from the Brass Ark. They have excellent leadpipes based off of top class originals, and even offer both standard and remington receivers for all by request. I have an 8H pipe fitted to my Kanstul 1588, and it really was an improvement (in my opinion) over the stock Minick style pipe.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Mouthpieces”