Mouthpiece for bass trombone beginner

claf

Mouthpiece for bass trombone beginner

Post by claf »

Hello dear trombone-playing friends!

I am a trumpet player for more than 20 years very interested in bass trombone.
I haven't played tenor trombone and want to start directly on bass (because this is the kind of sound I'm looking for).

My question is quite common (what mouthpiece should I buy?), but allow me to explain myself.

I have been on a mouthpiece safari for my trumpet the past years and have settled on a Marcinkiewicz (two actually, one for orchestral and one for jazz/commercial/lead). I find the rim very comfortable?

I have read that common beginner mouthpieces would be something like a Bach 1-1/2G or Yamaha/Schilke 58, but there is a 1.5G available from Marcinkiewicz.

Do you think I should stick to my favourite brand ? Should I go with something more standard (Bach/Yamaha/Schilke) ?
I have also liked Stork mouthpieces during my safari, should I give it a try as well ?

Thank you for your answers!

A future bass trombonist from France.

EDIT : I forgot to mention I will (try to) play both orchestral, jazz & big band, but a beginner mouthpiece should fit all those musics :biggrin:
Gaudet bass (like Courtois 502)
Adams TB1 Open Flow dual bore tenor
Blessing .508 straight tenor with rose brass bell
Kingfan

Re: Mouthpiece for bass trombone beginner

Post by Kingfan »

Mouthpieces are subjective. What works for one person on a certain horn may not work for another. You may have to try several until you settle on what works for you. If you can borrow mouthpieces from other players or try them in a music store, do so. That said, if you like your Marcinkewicz trumpet mouthpiece, their trombone mouthpieces would be a good place to start. Here is a chart that gives you an idea of how different brands of mouthpieces compare (on paper, anyway!). http://www.dannychesnut.com/Music/Tromb ... rison.html
Good luck, and welcome to the trombone family!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
claf

Post by claf »

Thank you for your reply.

I know that mouthpieces are subjective.
My point is that for know I am not able to know if a specific mouthpiece is a good fit for me since I don't know yet how to play bass trombone (I sure will go on a mouthpiece safari at some point), I am just looking for advice for the mouthpiece I will learn to play on.

Thank you for the link to this chart, it is quite interesting.
In this chart I see the DW Steven Mead euphonium mouthpieces. Are these mouthpieces a good fit for bass trombone ?
Slideorama

Post by Slideorama »

5G.
Michael Lawson
Freelance Trombonist
Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX
Crazytrombonist505

Post by Crazytrombonist505 »

If you like the Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces then trying their 1.5G would probably be a good choice. A mouthpiece in the 1.5g range is a good place to start with for bass trombone imo. Good luck!
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

Slideorama wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:36 am5G.
This is definitely too small for bass trombone.
I wouldn't go any smaller than a 2g.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I don't think many people start out on bass, so the common "knowledge" that the 1.5 is where to start might be flawed, since that advice seems to be for someone starting bass from already playing tenor. I would personally try a 2G. The 2G also nominally works on large tenor too.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

As a beginner, it doesn't matter very much what you start on. Find something locally that is within the 2G to 1-1/2G size range to get started.
Same as trumpet - I bet you weren't looking for the ideal mouthpiece in your first months of playing - you wouldn't have known anyway.

You said "I haven't played tenor trombone and want to start directly on bass (because this is the kind of sound I'm looking for."
Is it the "sound" you're looking for, ior the "range" you want to play?
Tenor and bass is not like trumpet and flugelhorn. If you just want a darker sound but you're not looking for bass trombone low range, consider a large tenor and an appropriate mouthpiece for that.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
PSJ

Post by PSJ »

Marcinkiewicz has good mouthpieces for Bass Trombone. I have been playing them for most of the past almost 40 years. The 1 1/2G would be good or the 3 (2G sized). But I also agree with Doug above!

Paul
Paul

Custom Getzen Custom 3062AF - Marcinkiewicz 1
And many, many others..........
claf

Post by claf »

Thank you for all your answers.
Doug Elliott wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:03 pm Is it the "sound" you're looking for, ior the "range" you want to play?
Tenor and bass is not like trumpet and flugelhorn. If you just want a darker sound but you're not looking for bass trombone low range, consider a large tenor and an appropriate mouthpiece for that.
What I like is the sound in the low range and the low range (I am also a bass guitar player and the low range is familiar to me). I'm really interested in playing the bass trombone parts.
harrisonreed wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:53 am I don't think many people start out on bass, so the common "knowledge" that the 1.5 is where to start might be flawed, since that advice seems to be for someone starting bass from already playing tenor. I would personally try a 2G.
PSJ wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:02 pm Marcinkiewicz has good mouthpieces for Bass Trombone. I have been playing them for most of the past almost 40 years. The 1 1/2G would be good or the 3 (2G sized).
I hadn't considered the 2G, but it seems logical that it could be a better choice in my case.
I might go to the Marcinkiewicz 3 :good:
afugate

Post by afugate »

Doug Elliott wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:03 pm As a beginner, it doesn't matter very much what you start on. Find something locally that is within the 2G to 1-1/2G size range to get started.
Same as trumpet - I bet you weren't looking for the ideal mouthpiece in your first months of playing - you wouldn't have known anyway.

You said "I haven't played tenor trombone and want to start directly on bass (because this is the kind of sound I'm looking for."
Is it the "sound" you're looking for, ior the "range" you want to play?
This is great advice for a beginner. There's not much on bass that a beginner can't do with a large bore tenor. Plus, Doug's right. You're just starting. No point in playing Goldilocks when there's so much fundamental work to be done.

Welcome to the trombone world! Heaven is rejoicing because while the Arch Angel Gabriel plays trumpet, God plays the trombone! :lol:

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Mouthpieces”